Three Gourami, At Least Two Of Which Are Male

aRKaNity

Reaction score
I recently added Dwarf Gouramis to my tank. It is a 20g long so it has a bit of real estate to it and it is planted and decorated so there are plenty of hiding places.

I'm quite sure two of them are male: my Dwarf Gourami and my Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami pictured here:

2012-11-29%2016.22.09-1.jpg

I realize that having the dorsal fin partially hidden may make it hard to sex this fish, but I'm pretty sure he is a male. The anal fin is quite rounded though, so I'm not sure. I've heard the females are almost never this colorful.

2012-11-29%2016.22.46-1.jpg

Pretty clear indications of a male here, right? Dorsal fin is pointy-ish but anal fin is quite rounded.

I can't get a good picture of the Honey Sunset, as he is fast and likes to hide in the plants, but he doesn't seem to be a part of the problem.

It seems like the two pictured have established territories and for the most part are coexisting. At feeding time they can be aggressive and I have tried feeding them in separate corners of the tank. Whichever finishes first will come to the other corner and get aggressive. Behavior is bumping, head butting, they will circle side-by-side head-to-tail with their fins fully erect. No battle wounds so far but I am worried about it escalating.

My 20 long tank has a footprint of 30" x 12" so they have 5 square feet to work with in the way of staking out their territories. The tank is well delineated with caves, bogwood, plantings, rock formations etc.

Any thoughts or advice?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back