Thread for sharing art

OK, here's my first attempt at a completely "primitive" arrow. The shaft is a red osier dogwood shoot from up in the canyon; feathers are wild turkey primaries from the Bighorn mountains. I carved the arrowhead from bison leg bone. The whole thing is held together with bison sinew, hide glue, and pine pitch glue, and painted with mineral pigments with egg yolk or hide glue for binder.

Bone arrowheads aren't legal for big game in Wyoming, and this shaft is a bit too bendy to shoot out of a heavy hunting bow anyway, but other than that, this is a completely functional arrow that would fly great out of a lighter-weight bow. It was fun to make and I'm very happy with it. I gave it as a gift to my friends that run the bison ranch.

View attachment 165594

View attachment 165595

View attachment 165596
Very impressive!
someday I would like to make a bow and arrow from scratch.

Thanks, everybody. :)

Connor, I used to think making bows required magical powers, but it doesn't. You just need some good info, a couple tools, and a good hunk of wood. Making a good arrow actually is a lot harder than making a good bow, because a slightly flawed bow can still do the job, but arrows have to be pretty much perfect.

Connor, I used to think making bows required magical powers, but it doesn't. You just need some good info, a couple tools, and a good hunk of wood. Making a good arrow actually is a lot harder than making a good bow, because a slightly flawed bow can still do the job, but arrows have to be pretty much perfect.
And thats we’re we get the term
“Straight as an arrow”

That makes sense. Someday I'll have to try it.

96EB3BCD-0185-41E0-9F8A-4E9D16CA64F6.jpeg

This reminds me of our old dog, Rocky, who died ten years or so ago. Every time we'd plant a shrub or flower, he'd retrieve it for us and show up proudly on the back step with it in his mouth, wagging his tail like mad. "You left this out in the yard, master, but I found it and brought it back for you!"

This reminds me of our old dog, Rocky, who died ten years or so ago. Every time we'd plant a shrub or flower, he'd retrieve it for us and show up proudly on the back step with it in his mouth, wagging his tail like mad. "You left this out in the yard, master, but I found it and brought it back for you!"
That’s so cute!

Sorry for your loss...

That is absolutely hysterical! 🤣

I painted this on the back of the tank, highlight first, background color last, in 1995. Tank has been outside and I am going to have to remix Neptune's colors to repair damage from scuffing and storage. But I found a picture to work from, when I get time. He holds the pearl of great price, in addition to his fork.

Attachments

• Neptune_sm.jpg
    Neptune_sm.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 24

I hope you didn't bury any dead fish in the garden too! If Rocky had retrieved those you would have had to get the air fresheners out, lol.

Yah if we get into the conversation about what dogs ate I would have to mention my previous dog bear and he was just gross 🤣

Not sure which was finished, I'm thinking the darker pic (room was dark when photo taken). My daughter ran off with the painting. I'm going to have to do another one for myself.

Attachments

• lilypainting2.jpg
    lilypainting2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 24
  • lilypainting.jpg
    lilypainting.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 23

Most reactions

Back