Thoughts Of A First Timer!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Keez

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Well, my new Juwel Vision 260 arrived today so I thought I'd start up a little Journal of getting it set up! Carrying it upstairs was not the easiest thing we've ever done but we got there! Found the instructions not the clearest in the world but after a couple of hours we got there. Here's a picture of it in place.

3prwywS.jpg

Same colour as mine, although your filter looks a lot more slimline than mine does. Wonder if they have changed it.

Nice.  What's the plan for it?

Apart from filling it with water 
smile.png

Far_King said:
Nice.  What's the plan for it?

Apart from filling it with water 
smile.png

The Plan so far is a sand substrate with some light planting across the back. I'm interested in getting a few Cory's and I also have a thing for red tailed sharks however that's going to be in a while once I get the tank cycled comfortably! 

Main part I'm a little unsure on is, should I cycle with plants or without? I'd prefer to do it with to know it's all set up but if it's detrimental I won't.

Sand and cories is all good :)

Red Tail Sharks can get large and stroppy with some other types of fish, particularly other sharks so you'll only be able to keep the one.

My advice on the planting would be to get the tank aquascaped before cycling.  Plants will aid in stabilising the environment.

Cheers for the advise, much appriciated. I will get some photo's up this weekend after I get the plants in and the tank looking how I'd like it!

All the above advice is good especially the Fishless Cyclign article, well worth doing things in this manner.

Adding plants and completing the aquascape to your satisfaction is best to do before starting the cycle process, plants are in fact beneficial to the cycling.

A little more information on RTBS to start you off on your research :)

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-bicolor/

Looking forwards to seeing this progress and anytime you get stuck or unsure, send out a question and we'll be happy to help when we can.

Keez said:
Cheers for the advise, much appriciated. I will get some photo's up this weekend after I get the plants in and the tank looking how I'd like it!

We may never see this tank again...  :sad:

Just kidding... but I can tell you from my own experience, I've never gotten my tanks to exactly how I want them to look... ever!  I just don't have the knack for aquascaping like some.  

I'd suggest that you plant, then proceed with a modified fishless cycle.  Instead of starting right away with 3ppm ammonia for the dose, start with 1 ppm.  Add the first dose about 1 week after adding the plants to give them a chance to settle in a bit.  Plants can use ammonia directly from the water column as their nitrogen source.  

Test in 24 hours after that and see how much ammonia the plants have used.  Once a dose of ammonia reaches 0 ammonia and nitrite after just a day, then you can boost the dose to 2ppm.  

When the tank processes 3ppm ammonia in a single day, you are fully cycled and ready for fish.  

eaglesaquarium said:

We may never see this tank again...  
sad1.gif

:lol:  That made me laugh!

I am the same, I am not particularly gifted....actually...not gifted at all.......in the aquascaping thing either but that does not matter as long as the fish and stocking are healthy and happy in their tank :)

SO you can shove in pink skull decor, spongebob squarepant airstone,  and blue gravel and multicoloured LEDS everywhere, I dont care as long as YOU are happy and the fish are well looked after ;)

Cheers for the well wishes! I feel a bit silly asking but I can't seem to find much on it. I've brought sand from my LFS and I didn't ask while I was there but what would be the easiest way of cleaning it before putting it in the tank? As using a sieve isn't going to be viable as it'll just go straight through.

I use a couple of buckets.  Put some sand in a bucket, swish water around and kick up the sediment and then tip this away.  Do this a few times and the worst should be gone.  tip the remaining sand into the other bucket and repeat - it does depend how much sand you intend to use, you may have to empty the cleaned stuff into the tank.

Play sand often kicks up more sediment than aquarium sand.  When you fill the tank with water it will cloud regardless.  This will clear and is normal.  Just ensure sand doesn't get sucked into your filter, not sure how the Jewel filters work though so can't advise on that.

Far_King said:
I use a couple of buckets.  Put some sand in a bucket, swish water around and kick up the sediment and then tip this away.  Do this a few times and the worst should be gone.  tip the remaining sand into the other bucket and repeat - it does depend how much sand you intend to use, you may have to empty the cleaned stuff into the tank.

Play sand often kicks up more sediment than aquarium sand.  When you fill the tank with water it will cloud regardless.  This will clear and is normal.  Just ensure sand doesn't get sucked into your filter, not sure how the Jewel filters work though so can't advise on that.
Why would you tip the sand into another bucket? I'd just tip it into the tank

Munroco said:

Why would you tip the sand into another bucket? I'd just tip it into the tank

The answer is simple, IMO...

The bottom sand isn't nearly as 'rinsed' as the top sand.  Tipping it into a second bucket and repeating the process means that you are then working more with the 'bottom' sand and getting the stuff out of there.

I find it settles and more water and sediment rises to the top if left a while and can be rinsed through again.

Most reactions

Back