Journey from dining room to fish room.

Party went well. A few people stayed and helped tidy up so there is no after party chores for today other than putting extra chairs tables and games away. I will leave the horseshoes out and keep the cornhole and Jarts handy, everything else will go to the shed. But nough of that.

I THOUGHT my pond plant order would arrive yesterday. It did not, It will be here on Tuesday and I have crossed fingers.

Today we will water change two tanks. I have developed a pretty fair schedule ... Each tank receives a WC of about 30-33 percent every four days. On the 12th day the WC is about 50-60 percent with a thorough gravel vac. This system seems to be working well as there is no mortality and the water parameters are very stable. One thing I realized is that my rain collection system will only be effective from about March through November. Looks like a RO system will be my birthday present in October. I should be able to easily store sufficient "treated" water in the laundry/fish utility room and a food grade 52 gallon drum that can be utilized. No need for floor reinforcement as the laundry room was an addition I built and it as is my habit over constructed with a solid floor system. Plumbing will be a breeze in that room as I have left myself valves in anticipation of extra plumbing right in the room. Sometimes I actually plan for the unplanned.

Today will be a day of little work. We will prepare some planters for various corners of the area around the pond and might go to the garden store after taking Buster and Precious dogs to the dog park and then to Mickey D's for Happy Meals. They love to watch the food come out the drive through drawer. They also enjoy the food. Precious likes catsup on her fries, Buster eats then plain. They both skip the rolls.

Anyway, an easy day of dominoes or scrabble at the pond. We need a light day and today is it.

Spotty rain yesterday but still got some ivy transplanted from where it survived the winter. Put soil into some large rock crevices at the pond margin and put these really tough plants into them Hoping they manage to take and will train them to creep among the rocks in front of the deck that will be a gazebo floor at ponds edge.

Today is a coolish day or supposed to be. Low 70's, a nice temp for outside work and a pleasant break from the heat of the past week. After scheduled water changes the goal is to dig a depression that will accumulate water runoff from the bog. It will hopefully become a small puddle to accumulate water to feed the brook I will Ditchwhitch sometime this week, back willing. I am uncertain if the accumulation will actually be sufficient to charge the little brook and if not it will be a dry creek bed. Should get at least a trickle but have to be careful not to drain the bog. Right now, the bog has a vein of standing water that I need to dissipate without drying the muck. More art than science I think and will likely need some playing with to get it right.

We are well pleased with the way the bog is growing. So far it has yellow flag Iris, zebra rush, Gold Star Rush and monkey plant all going well. Later in the week I will add half dozen cattails, pussy willows and arrow root. Today the floaters are due to be delivered, Spangles, Lettuce, and Giant Frogbit. These will go into the main pond. By weeks end my order for Creeping Jenny and plugs of creeping Thyme should arrive. The creeping Jenny will be used to fill gaps at the pond, waterfall, and bog margins. The Thyme is for the retaining wall we built last year and will fill in between the Burning Bushes. Need to fill the pickup bed with topsoil for the retaining wall and then spread it.

Our fish are doing great, both in the pond and the glass tanks. The Goldfish have spouted eggs in the pond. From what I could tell after reading they were fertile and despite my objections Linda moved them to the small overflow pond that feeds the bog and pushed them beneath rock overhangs. I hope the frogs find them. Speaking of frogs, we also came across a mass of frog eggs entwined in some Hyacinths. I think the goldfish will make short work of most of them.

Bog extention was completed yesterday. The addition makes the Bog perhaps 50% larger. I am not going to line it and with rubber and instead use compressed Peat Moss for the bottom. My neighbor has a pile of sandy loam that I will mix with clay for the bottom. I did make some small adjustment to the flow coming into the pond to get a touch more water to the bog. I also made some channels in the existing bog to ensure it does not drain into the new area to the point of drying. Still some fine tuning but it looks like the little creek, (the next step), that I will build will have a btt of water flow that will be sent to the willow tree. I hope the willow will absorb the water and if not, I will divert the excess to a corner of the area and let in naturalize.

It is getting unseasonably warm, hit 90F a few days which is not the norm, so we are only working from about 7:30 Am till maybe 11:00 AM. We are both finding this schedule to have the benefit of being less taxing.

All the pond fish are thriving, and we spent the late afternoon watching them play in the waterfall and circle the pond edges nibbling at the new floaters. They are really cool creatures and have added a layer of enjoyment to our outside room.

Tonight my electrician buddy is coming over with his wife for a steak cookout. He will also take a look at doing my outside wiring and give me the material list. The wiring is currently at the basement wall but needs to be brought out to the pond area. I need to get rid of the lead cords because it is just a matter of time before one of us gets careless with yard equipment and slices them. It would not be a first time and it is quite a jib to unwind wire from the riding mower blades.

Finished the collection of dry dead wood and spread it about the little creek bed to make a dead fall. Looks OK and after it is planted we think it will be a charmer. Tomorrow I will get a pick-up load of topsoil / compost mixture from a landscape supply place. This will be used to fill various places along the dead fall. About 30 pieces of creeping jenny are hydrating in the overflow pond and will be used to plant the new soil mix.

This is the first time in longer than I remember we had to purchase compost. The number of plantings the past two years exceeded our ability to compost.

There are now about 15 - 30 goldfish fry in the overflow. They are growing. Also found another dozen in a secluded spot in the main pond behind some wood. Linda is all smiles, me, not so much. The Rosy Minnows are growing at a quick pace and are swimming together as a group. They are now coming to the surface to feed with the goldfish. Fun to watch.

The soil and plantings will write the words the end in this episode yard improvements.

The goal was to complete the pond area work by Friday, yesterday. We almost made it but a rain day on Thursday and spotty rain yesterday caused us to miss the goal. Still need to plant some 30 creeping jenny plants along various margins. Will do this on Sunday as today is Belmont Stakes at Saratoga.

We have breakfast reservations at the track, 9AM. After that we will head to the park area where we have a reserved picnic table near a couple of televisions. Cold southern fried chicken, creamy potato salad, three melon and cheese salad, chips, dips, and a cold cut platter for our mid-day meal while watching the races. Our table is very near the parade road where the horses are lead from the grounds to the parade oval. I think some of our enjoyment will be diminished by the huge crush of people but I am hoping the fact we have a reserved spot will somewhat mitigate that. We will be joined by two other couples and I look forward to what amounts to a once in a lifetime experience.

Back on subject.

Got a call from the kiln Thursday. My wood will be ready for pick-up anytime from Tuesday on next week. With the pond and yard work completed by then I can begin concentrating on the dining room to fish room project. Monday I will again clean the workshop, change blades, set up roller extensions and make a list of misc. goods I need to buy. I will pick up the wood either Tuesday or Wednesday. My eye procedure is Thursday and that will decommission me for maybe a week to ten days I have been told.

I have done little the past five days due to recovery from eye procedure. Today I will resume my normal activity.

Yesterday we bought or dug and planted the last of the plants for the bog. Arrowroot, (dug), lily and a couple more hyacinths. On the way home from the shopping we discovered a pile of pallets and loaded ten onto the pickup. They will be added to the pallet pile I am building fencing with and should be enough to finish the job hopefully. The new fence is adding an interesting bit to the pond area and offers some opportunity to add nore points of interest. perhaps a secret garden with fountain in one area. Seems our minds never stop envisioning work for our bodies.

Lost our Black male molly yesterday. My first euthanized fish and it broke both my and Linda's hearts. He had a white spot which was cured using CollinT suggestion. He was acting normally but after a couple days stopped eating and slowly wasted. There was no obvious reason but whan he reached the point of no return I gave him a clove does then cut his head off. I opened him up to see if I could see anything obvious and used an old microscope to look for parasites. I saw none but am no Vet of course. He was to be breeding male for Linda, so she is upset not only for his loss of life, (he came to her hand to be "petted', but also for her breeding plans. This is the first fish we have lost in some time.

Today I will sort my softwood lumber, I need several 100 board feet for the building at the pond. It is no longer a gazebo due to cost of material and will instead be more like a very large garden shed. What lumber I am missing in the shop will have to be purchased at the local sawmill. No time to acquire logs and bring them to my brothers mill for sawing unfortunately so will be paying 75 cents a BF instead of 22 cents. Will also order and set up delivery from Lowes for roofing, paint, screening and fasteners. They have a free delivery promotion I want to take advantage of that saves me time and effort. I want everything on hand before beginning the project.

Temp yesterday was 93F. Today and tomorrow might reach triple digits then 90's rest of week so we will be limiting outside work to mornings. I will take advantage by spending some time in the shop sorting my new hardwoods for the fish room build. I will have quite a bit of planing to do and need a day or two to set things up.

String algae is a mild pond issue but we are staying atop it using a plastic rake. We did not have this issue last year so I am going to investigate the source in the near future. I gave the pond a chemical bath last night but do not want that to be a solution. The water remains very clear though and we can see numerous babies. About 25 to thirty currently in the nursery pond and more in the main pond. I told Linda she needs to work on rehoming them pretty soon or I will be using them as bait fish when my brother and I begin largemouth fishing in a couple of weeks.

Linda talked to owner of a local restaurant yesterday afternoon about the baby goldfish growing in the pond. We have known the owners, this is actually the third generation of ownership, for 50 years or so and are what they call regulars. Anyway, they have a large, about two maybe three-acre, pond beside the eatery. It is populated with Koi, goldfish, and bullhead. They gave her permission to rehome the goldfish babies so that problem is solved. Guess she took my threat to use them as bait seriously 🤣.

Two water changes to do today. We are changing between 25 and 30 percent in each tank every four days. On the twelfth day we do about 50% with the gravel vacuum. The rainwater collection system is now a concern for water changes. The excessive heat combined with no recent rain is causing a greening of the water. Never noticed the issue before, but then again, the system was only used to water plants that are out of reach for our well water hoses. We boil the water before using it in the tanks and yesterday Linda ran it through a jerry-rigged filter before using it. I saw a need for a RO system in late fall but looks like I will have to move that up. Anyway, we will drain the rainwater tank this weekend into the apple, cherry and plum trees and then sterilize the tote tank to rid it of anything that is there at least temporarily. No rain in sight so no big rush.

The heat is oppressive so pond living area work will be on hold the next two days. By Friday we should be able to start working again in the mornings. I am anxious to complete the building project.

Rescheduled water changes to be more efficient and to account for the 30 gallon that will soon be online. The new schedule allows us to water change three days and take the fourth off. Each change is about 35% now with every third one about 50% with a gravel vac. Don't really need a day off but want to anticipate the 90 and 44 gallon tanks that will soon be set up, soon meaning fall. We did lose a black molly this past week. First death in some time.

The past week has been excruciating between my eye needing attention, two other doctor visits, and the silly weather. Three days this past week hit 97- 101 - 101. The rest hovered in high 80 and low 90F. All with high humidity. Reel Feel temp was 105 two of the days. Mowing the lawn on a riding tractor was drenching. Today a slight break, low 80's with sticky humidity and intermittent rain. Spent several nights sleeping on the couch. No, Linda is not angry with me, the bedroom is not air conditioned and it is just too hot.

Not much work done this past week. Got the lumber sorted and sticked near the pond work area and received my Lowe's delivery of assorted goods for the build looking at the pond. I did do some layout work on the building today despite the rain, but it was mostly piddle work to keep me occupied. Possibility of rain again tomorrow but hope to get some framing done in spite of the forecast. The upcoming week is going to be workable.

The cattails have taken well in the bog as has the pickle rush. The creeping jenny is a disappointment so far and the frogbit seems to be stressed. The spangles have largely disappeared. With the exception of the Hyacinths the pond floaters are a disappointment. Tuesday on my return from a doctor visit I plan on stopping at a local pond and netting some floaters, mainly duckweed.

I did flood the pond with new water, about 700 gallons to lower the temp back into the 70's on Thursday. Even with the trickle flow from the artesian the temp had risen to an uncomfortable level. The fish seemed pleased.

The skeleton of a building has risen above the pond. After the wall frame was completed I noticed the build was not actually level which was a surprise. The deck was level when I began the wall framing. Upon inspection it became apparent that recent rains, short but vicious, had undermined a corner despite generous pea gravel. I jacked up each corner and removed the blocking then hoed the gravel out to a depth of a foot and slushed in some cement. Then a block was set in and some adjustments made. The building is level again and more stable. Shortcuts usually become longcuts and I know better. Today I will tack sheathing to the lower half of the walls then proceed to the roof rafters. Linda will pound nails to the sheathing. The releveling cost me yesterday so am now a day off schedule. No problem though, my contract does not have a time clause.

The front of the build has a 90-inch opening looking directly at the pond. Last night we put a couple of chairs inside to see how the view would be and are pleased. We have a panoramic view of the entire pond. I started a fire and we enjoyed a couple of cocktails like a pair of kids. Could not help but notice the entire area was alight with fireflies. It has been several years since we have seen them in these numbers. They have been nearly non-existent. During the day the area is full of Dragon and Damselflies, butterflies, Cardinals, Doves, Woodpeckers, Catbirds, Bluebirds, Sparrows, Goldfinches and other assorted birds. Rabbits, Chipmunks, Squirrels, and even a groundhog have made the area home, or at least a lunch bar. I think it may be due to the re-naturalization of the entire pond area. Still some work to do on that project, but it is next spring's work. The goldfish are growing well and school under a piece of scrap cherry when they see us fully expecting some flakes. The Rosey Nose Minnows are thriving although their number has been reduced from 12 to 10. Frogs are numerous and some lizards have made a home. There is also one small garter snake that weaves itself under the margin rockery. He is safe ubtil Linda sees him then I will be asked to go hunting. I am hoping she does not cross his path because I rather like him.

The only real negative was that yesterday my 1986 Craftsman Garden Tractor developed a rattle followed by a puff of smoke and then a loud bang. The engine has finally died and although I am having it looked at today, I surmise it has finally passed into the great garden in the sky. A new engine is about 25 - 30 percent the cost of a new tractor, then there is the labor. Will likely have to go shopping for a new unit this weekend because the yard is simply to large for these old muscles to use the push mower on all summer. The tractor is also used for many other chores, and I simply cannot function without one. At least the newer models come with cup holders, there is that. I am not totally bummed out because I have been toying for two years with purchasing a new one. All my equipment is getting old unfortunately. I even marveled at my skill saw yesterday. It was purchased in 1976 and is still cutting wood. It is as old as my eldest child, not as pretty but in many cases more dependable.

Well, enough rambling, it is time to do some water changing, squish snails, and look at the finned buddies with Buster dog.

Build project has been severely slowed by weather. It is blazingly hot here with mostly 90F and heavy humidity. We have made progress each day but are limited to about 3 - 4 hours of work before being overcome with heat. Today it will again be hovering around 90F. I do not remember an early summer like this one. Seems like we get the work area set up and then have to put it all away before getting much done. Linda says just keep pecking away.

Today I have a buddy coming over about 6:30 AM to help me get the sheathing onto the roof. The sheets need to ascend about 11 feet from the ground to the roof edge and I decided it was too much to ask of just Linda and myself. The plan is to get all the sheathing up and tacked before the heat becomes oppressive. Tomorrow, I hope to get it all nailed down properly and Monday apply the finish roofing. The heat is draining us so it might go over a day or even two.

The pond is developing an algae issue. Slight so far but growing, pun intended. Realized this morning that we did not add the barley bail to it so that will get done today. Fish are doing great and we enjoy watching them frolic.

Aquarium fish are also thriving and another group of fry, both Molly and Guppy are nearly ready for the fish store. Linda talked to them yesterday and will trade these guys for half dozen Neon Tetra and two 20-gallon rated sponge filters for the 30-gallon breeder tank. Good deal all around.

Been a few days since I have added to this thread.

The weather finally broke somewhat. It is still 90ish but the humidity has returned to normal north country levels. Both Linda and myself are pretty worn down by the working the build project in the excessive heat and humidity.

Another batch of Molly and Guppy fry are being delivered to the small locally owned fish store today, about 20 guppy and an equal number of Molly. Linda bartered them for a bit of pellets for the pond fish and two big beef sticks for Mutt and Jeff, (actually Buster and Precious dogs). The API pellets retailed for 17.99 and the dog treats are 2.99 each so she is receiving 50 cents a fish for this batch. Of course, the actual cost to the store is much less. Samantha, the store manager loves Linda's babies and told her they will take all she can get because they are very healthy little guys and gals. Linda is quite pleased with herself.

The pond building is now usable although I still need to finish the rake trim on the roof and the soffits on the large front and back overhangs. Will also be adding some 2 1/2-inch batten strips to the outside walls to dress them up a bit. The windows also require working shutters so the room can be used in a rainstorm. We learned this last week when we had torrential rain with heavy winds. My weather station indicated gusts up to 71 MPH. The rain was literally horizontal and came in the front screened opening and exited the back screened opening leaving us wet. Although this was an excessively severe storm this type of weather is becoming ever more prevalent in our little corner of the world, and I fear it is soon going to be called our new normal. I installed hurricane ties on the rafters in anticipation of these frightening storms and after last Tuesday am glad I did.

The south facing front window measures 79 by 45 inches and offers a full view of the pond and bog. The back window, east, is 52 by 45 inches and offers a view of of what was supposed to be a wildflower garden which was planted last fall but has been a spectacular failure. I will till that area in the fall for Linda. She now plans to plant a couple of dwarf flowering trees and a variety of cutting flowers. She has also hinted that I could build her a small summer kitchen with wet sink in that area. Perhaps next year. The morning sun shines through this window, and we enjoyed a light breakfast there yesterday. The north window is 36 inches by 45 inches and overlooks the Snook Kill brook right where it tumbles over some rocks into what was a swimming hole we made when the chitlins were young. It is now a fishing hole that I take a few trout from time to time.

The south window allows a brutal sun into the room starting about 2 PM and lasting until about an hour before sunset. It is direct blistering heat and in anticipation of it and the ever more frequent monsoon rains being the apparent new normal I need an awning and a closure for this window. To solve this problem without obstructing the view I am taking to the shop to build a contraption to cover the entire opening. It will be a shutter and awning combination that opens vertically. This "shawning" will have two pieces of clear material, as yet to be determined, each measuring 32 inches by 36 inches hinged at the top with stops so that it will block the afternoon sun without obstructing the sunset when open and also allowing a reasonable view when closed. The other two windows will have similar contraptions but will open like normal shutters with hinges on the verticals. The homemade screen door has sufficient roof overhang to hopefully prevent any water issue.

I have drilled holes for wire and set the electrical boxes in place for outlets and lighting. The plan is to dig a trench today for the underground wire. It is about 15 feet from the basement wall to the new building so this is a job for the banjo and not worth the cost of renting a DitchWitch machine. It will be easy digging and not take long. The 12/2 UG wire will be strung inside a 3/4-inch PVC pipe for added safety. I am also going to lay 1/2-inch Schedule 40 black iron pipe in the trench in case I want to connect a heater and/or grill to my gas line, (or Linda's fantasy summer kitchen). It is quite likely we will insulate and finish the interior in the early fall if I have sufficient wood lying about. I envision a TV and audio system in the room. The TV so I can watch football and baseball which are basically all I use a TV for. I am addicted to the NFL and an avid Fantasy Football participant with two legacy teams. The audio system will get much more use than the TV and we can pipe speakers to the firepit area as a bonus. At any rate we are down to finishing touches on the build, the new bog is growing well and the stream bed is carrying a nice trickle of water to the weeping willow area.

The time to begin changing the dining room into a fish room is fast approaching and I will soon be bringing the wood into the shop to start building cabinets. I look forward to doing some fine woodworking after all the rough carpentry of the pond build. Besides my shop is a far more comfortable workplace than the great outdoors by far.

I put a minnow trap in the pond Wednesday to begin the process of removing the goldfish children. Pulled it on Thursday and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Inside were a dozen and a half little guys and gals who now reside in the large pond up the road. Will rinse and repeat until the "problem" is resolved.

I read about an issue in a pond that potentially drains into Lake George. Seems someone has dumped goldfish in this pond and there is great fear they will enter the Queen of American Lakes. The lake does not currently, and never has, housed any form of carp and the golds would be very destructive to the lake's eco-system. The golds we are rehoming have no opportunity to enter any other waterway. The pond being used is an isolated manmade affair fed by an artesian well. The overflows are screened, and any excess water simply drains into a field. Some people show no care and are frankly #$%^&.

The pond building is wired but not yet powered. That will come in about a week. I still need to run a wire from the spot the underground wire enters the basement to the entrance box. I informed Chris I was not yet ready, and he will now be here end of next week. My delay was caused by a touch of food poisoning that laid me up a couple of days in the bathroom. The food came from a food truck at an outside concert. I should have known better than eating something with Mayo from a food truck. Anyway, I have recovered although still a bit weakened.

Linda spent most of the week tending gardens and they are now in tip top shape again, a pleasure to view from any vantage point.

Hair algae continues to be an issue in the ponds and we remove it daily with a net. I added a barley bale to help but that will take some time to begin having an effect. I am trying to avoid using an algaecide, but we are creeping ever closer to that remedy. So long as the water remains clear we will avoid using one, but the hair algae is a daily fight. I think the fish population, due to breeding, is overwhelming the filter and floater's ability to deal with waste. I plan of giving the pond a serious flush this weekend then increasing the flow from the artesian feed to its maximum, about 4 GPM for a few days. Perhaps that will help.

The inside tanks are doing well. The 30 gallon is set up and I have portable dividers that offer the option of either halves or thirds. It is currently divided in halves. One side has three female sword and the other three female black Molly. These six fish were raised as fry and isolated in a 20-gallon tank. They are now about 6 and 8 weeks old respectively. When a bit older Linda will add appropriate males to begin breeding for the 90-gallon tank that sits in storage. Hopefully her project will have the results she desires.

Most reactions

Back