Thoughts about lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's because of all the predatory birds flying around your house. I mean, if you're a Discus and you go out into the light, they can see you and eat you. They need a little time to figure out it's safe to go out, because the New Zealand diving fish hawks just aren't sitting on that railing looking down at the tank.

You can't blame them for being wary - Amazonia is a tough place.

if you have something like Monstrera above the tank light strip, with those big leaves, they don't care about the brightness because they see cover. They'll come around. Instinct kicks in, but they learn.

I absolutely hate lighting that is supplied with aquariums

I mean, seriously where on earth does any waterway or lake get a natural clear sky, bright light (sunshine) every single day without fail?

Nowhere.

I ditched my supplied light cos it was far too glarey....it lit the room up, nevermind the aquarium.

I use MCR LED lighting on the dimmest setting available...and its not a case of going from pitch black overnight to "AAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!" light....its gradual, blue to purple to soft cloudy day white

Fish are less stressed (I know this cos they don't stop breeding...even my Otto's are at it now)....I even have (cough, cough) a few real plants amongst the silicone ones and they seem happy & healthy (though I am waiting for them to realise that I am the resident plant killer and wither into a mushy mess)

You don't get super bright white light lasting upto 10 hours a day, every day in nature so why have it in an aquarium?

My lights are never at max... I think the highest I have them set to go is 40% and that works just fine for me and the fish. It gradually goes on, and gradually goes off

I absolutely hate lighting that is supplied with aquariums

I mean, seriously where on earth does any waterway or lake get a natural clear sky, bright light (sunshine) every single day without fail?
Lakes, rivers, the ocean. Most of the waterways around here get plenty of sun :)

The only areas that don't get full sun all day are narrow creeks, streams, tributaries lined with trees. These are shaded in the morning and afternoon and will have some sunlight during the middle of the day in areas without trees shading it.

A lot of the newer led lights have a ‘ramp up’ mode. That’s what all my lights are set to. Sunrise, afternoon sun, evening, night(gradually turns off)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back