Thoughts about lighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Today I succumbed and bought a new 2 foot light for my 6 foot tank ($35). Anyhow I set it up it is all good. I just wanted some more light for the Amazon sword plants over winter.
Anyhow this is what the Discus have decided to do
20220709_153535_03.jpg

So we thought food, will get them out.
20220709_153328.jpg

Nope we are having nothing to do with that light, so the food goes to the Discus
20220709_153409.jpg
20220709_153440.jpg

So, this makes me think what it does to your fish when you have the whole tank lit up like a Christmas tree and is that good for the wellbeing of your fish.

Today I succumbed and bought a new 2 foot light for my 6 foot tank ($35). Anyhow I set it up it is all good. I just wanted some more light for the Amazon sword plants over winter.
Anyhow this is what the Discus have decided to do
View attachment 162826
So we thought food, will get them out.
View attachment 162827
Nope we are having nothing to do with that light, so the food goes to the Discus
View attachment 162828View attachment 162829
So, this makes me think what it does to your fish when you have the whole tank lit up like a Christmas tree and is that good for the wellbeing of your fish.
I agree I keep parts of my tank unlit because I notice some fish just don’t appreciate the light , I don’t have lots of lush plants like yourself though so I don’t have the worry of them getting light , my light is a 4 piece and each light can be turned off individually or set to a timer , it’s a terrestrial grow light , brilliant for my floaters and monstera but my jungle val isn’t doing so well

I have shady spots under plants but my fish like to be right front and center in the light sooo...

Also your fish have been raised in low lighting so they probably still need to adjust... Its like being in a very dark room for a few days and then going outside one summer day like: "WHOA WHAT THE HECK! MY EYES!"

Also your fish have been raised in low lighting so they probably still need to adjust... Its like being in a very dark room for a few days and then going outside one summer day like: "WHOA WHAT THE HECK! MY EYES!"
This tank has had direct sunlight all summer, so it has been well lit

This is one of those things that I don't think we give enough thought about. What does the intense lighting do to the fish?

Food dropping at the right-hand side of the tank and the Discus won't go there
20220709_182648.jpg

The guys have gone through the light and are now hanging out in the shade at the other end of the tank where the food was dropped.
20220709_185728.jpg

It's not so much about light but how quickly fish are exposed to light. Fish and all animals are normally exposed to sunlight over a gradual period of time (an hour or so) in the morning. It gets lighter and lighter and eventually becomes full light. This gives the animal or fish time to adjust to the light.

In an aquarium, most people simply get up, go over to the fish tank and turn the light on. The fish go from complete dark to complete light instantly and it freaks them out. However, this is not the case with your discus tank. The tank is by a window and gets to wake up naturally due to light coming in through a window.

In this case, the fish are stressed by having a change in lighting. They have gone from a partially lit dappled light area, to an area where some of the overhead canopy of trees has been cleared allowing a lot of bright light in. At least this is how the fish see it. In reality the new light is doing the same thing as removing trees along the river bank and letting more sunlight in. The fish were used to a certain level of light but with the addition of new lighting, there is an increase of light in the middle of the tank and the fish aren't use to it. In a few days to a few weeks, the fish should get use to the new light and spend more time out in the middle.

Discus do come from blackwater with lots of trees lining the banks to provide shade, so having them in a brightly lit tank is not really natural for them. But they also don't come from heavily planted streams either so you have the light for the plants and the fish have to get use to the brighter light in the middle of the tank. They will adapt.

It's not so much about light but how quickly fish are exposed to light. Fish and all animals are normally exposed to sunlight over a gradual period of time (an hour or so) in the morning. It gets lighter and lighter and eventually becomes full light. This gives the animal or fish time to adjust to the light.

In an aquarium, most people simply get up, go over to the fish tank and turn the light on. The fish go from complete dark to complete light instantly and it freaks them out. However, this is not the case with your discus tank. The tank is by a window and gets to wake up naturally due to light coming in through a window.

In this case, the fish are stressed by having a change in lighting. They have gone from a partially lit dappled light area, to an area where some of the overhead canopy of trees has been cleared allowing a lot of bright light in. At least this is how the fish see it. In reality the new light is doing the same thing as removing trees along the river bank and letting more sunlight in. The fish were used to a certain level of light but with the addition of new lighting, there is an increase of light in the middle of the tank and the fish aren't use to it. In a few days to a few weeks, the fish should get use to the new light and spend more time out in the middle.

Discus do come from blackwater with lots of trees lining the banks to provide shade, so having them in a brightly lit tank is not really natural for them. But they also don't come from heavily planted streams either so you have the light for the plants and the fish have to get use to the brighter light in the middle of the tank. They will adapt.
It is an interesting observation I think, and in real time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back