Thought spot was gone - wrong.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bogusmove

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The other week, I picked up whitespot, and treated with waterlife protozin while raising the temperature to 80 dF. Great.

Apparently the treatment was not entirely effective though as it's come back with a vengance. I'm treating with protozin again, but now I have casualties and i'm beginning to dispair of what more to do.

I've lost 9 of 9 neons and 1 of 6 corrys. Of the remainder, one of the barbs is sitting quietly in the corner and opening and closing its mouth rapidly, and none of the corrys are very active most of the time, tending to sit around mostly, one of two a little interested in food, but most not. The gourami is tending to be at the top of the tank in the corner all the time, but did come out for a bit of food. The rainbows, swordtails and plattys seem fairly normal so far.

I'm beginning to wonder if im going to lose my entire tank and I wonder if there is anything more I can do?

Any help much appreciated.

bogusmove said:
The other week, I picked up whitespot, and treated with waterlife protozin while raising the temperature to 80 dF. Great.

Apparently the treatment was not entirely effective though as it's come back with a vengance. I'm treating with protozin again, but now I have casualties and i'm beginning to dispair of what more to do.

I've lost 9 of 9 neons and 1 of 6 corrys. Of the remainder, one of the barbs is sitting quietly in the corner and opening and closing its mouth rapidly, and none of the corrys are very active most of the time, tending to sit around mostly, one of two a little interested in food, but most not. The gourami is tending to be at the top of the tank in the corner all the time, but did come out for a bit of food. The rainbows, swordtails and plattys seem fairly normal so far.

I'm beginning to wonder if im going to lose my entire tank and I wonder if there is anything more I can do?

No problems with ammonia and nitrite.

Any help much appreciated.
Try treating for longer using Rid ICH +. Im starting my treatment today and that seams to be the treatment of choice for people with catfish and other sensitive fish like neons in the tank. The ICK guard that I was using was that powerful and I lost one fish because of it as others ARE improving. Good luck and lay off your current meds and then try that RidICH. Maybe turn the temp down a bit so your fish on the bottom can breath more. The higher temp only helps speed the ICK cycle along more and doesnt kill it unless the temps are higher like 86 degrees.

I'd say try the ridich, becuase it definitely worked for me. Just keep at it. Your fihs shouldn't all die out. If nothing works, just up the temp. The parasites have to go through a cycle before they multiply. They have to latch on, start multiplying, and then they drop off the fish and release other parasites. The increased temp should make them come off earlier and they can only be killed once they have fallen or been taken off the fish.

Billsjunkie: Try treating for longer using Rid ICH +.

Presumably I should detox first so as not to mix meds? I'd be worried this will allow the ich to get even more established and cause more casualties by the time the new meds got working... also, cant immediately find a seller in the uk at the moment.

Billsjunkie: Maybe turn the temp down a bit so your fish on the bottom can breath more.

That was my intention. I thought it was correct to raise temp so that the life cycle would speed up and go through the water bourn stage where it can be killed...

tempestuousfury: If nothing works, just up the temp.

Raise it to kill the ich you mean? To 86 dF ? If so, how many days should I stagger such a large temp change over?

I had mine up to 86 for a 3 day period but one of my swords died that had the ICK. DOnt know if the temp was to high or if it was to far into the disease. Some people say only 82, some 80, but it can KILL the ICK at 86 degrees I just read in a college study.

Yes, just the ones that are free swimming. They come off quickly in high tanks. I'm not sure if they're killed in high temps, but I'm sure that they unlatch at high temps, though.

Ok... thanks. How slowly could I make such a large temperature jump? If I reset just one of my heaters it'd probably make the jump in 6 hours ish...

Bogusmove - you said:

of the barbs is sitting quietly in the corner and opening and closing its mouth rapidly, and none of the corrys are very active most of the time, tending to sit around mostly, one of two a little interested in food, but most not. The gourami is tending to be at the top of the tank in the corner all the time

This is weird, I have just used protozin in my tank to cure 1 sick fish and now I have lost nearly all of them!! THey are all doing the same as yours - breathing - or gasping really quickly, not moving about much and then dying off. The only fish not affected so far are the mollies and their fry.

JUst been watching my remaing clown loach jand fhe looks like he's about to croak too. I have been looking at the euthanasia post and just cant bring myself to use any of the methods there - I'm gutted!

All I can say is maybe protozin aint so great!

Oh, and I did a water change (15% ish) and made sure I stirred the water up as I poured it in so as to aerate it as much as possible, this did seem to liven the tank up for a few hours. All I can think is the prozin is somehow deoxygenating the water. Only way I can see aroun dthis is top keep doing small changes daily until things recover.... :(

This is weird, I have just used protozin in my tank to cure 1 sick fish and now I have lost nearly all of them!!

Hmm, maybe we're suffering from intoxication by medication rather than ich. Are you also treating ich btw?

I did a water change (15% ish) and made sure I stirred the water up as I poured it in so as to aerate it as much as possible, this did seem to liven the tank up for a few hours.

This supports the above I guess, as you are diluting the protozin, although as you say it could also be a side effect of the protozin such as deoxygenation. I actually added an air pump when I started dosing to try and offset any deoxygenation a bit. I dont normally use one.

All I can say is maybe protozin aint so great!

I actually spoke to Waterlife about protozin a few days ago to find out how it worked, primarily with a view to learning what the correct action to take was if I wanted to do water changes during treatment. I'll pomst a separate thread though as other people might be interested and it is getting a bit off topic! Look for "Medication, how it works and water changes" in this same forum.

Ok... thanks. How slowly could I make such a large temperature jump?

Still want to know the answer to this if anyone can oblige?

Of the remainder, one of the barbs is sitting quietly in the corner

Lost another corry during the night. I euthanased the barb this morning as she was clearly on her way out, and it looks like the Gourami will be next, tending to swim on his side now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back