Thinking Of Starting A Tank Again!

My friend offered me some bacteria from his filter he has for over a year. Do I just squeeze his sponge in the tank?

It would be best to put a piece of it into your filter. If walmart or home depot don't have the ammonia by the way you can check Ace Hardware :)

You CAN squeeze your friend's filter media into the tank.

But best results tends to be putting in some of his media into your filter. Might as well squeeze filter media into your tank AND put in some into your filter. Don't squeeze out more than half his media btw.

Bearing in mind not to take more than, say a third of his filter media. This is so that you do not harm his filter bacteria colony.

And do replace what you take from his filter with new same type of media so that the bacteria can use that to regrow back to size.

Okay thanks guys. So far I got the substrate and thermometer. Still looking for other supplies.

Don't forget to post pics
;)

Looks like setting up this tank will take some more time haha. I got the Ammonia  NH3/NH4 Api liquid test bottles and the tube. I just got a question. If i order this DrTim's Ammonium chloride 930, is it necessary to buy the 002 bottle, if so can it be substituted with the cheaper ones like Nutrafin Cycle or Tetra Safe start Plus?

DrTim's Aquatics 002 One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Cycling Aquaria, Fresh Water, 8-Ounce

Nutrafin Cycle is not worth the paper the label is printed on imho! So do not bother with that one.

Tetra Safe Start have had successes in kick starting a cycle. But I'd go for Dr Tim's Bateria. In fact Dr Tim Hovenac, who first found a way to create these relevant bacterias started at Tetra Safe start then he moved onto his own brand, so they are similar stuff but Dr Tim's Bacteria is my first choice, then Tetra Safe Start second choice.

Its not neccessary to buy Dr Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria or Tetra Safe Start, just the ammonium chloride is fine, basically it just means it will take a few weeks longer to complete the cycle.

I have never used a bottle of bacteria starter either Dr Tims or Safe Start for any of my cycled tanks, have mostly started them from scratch and have succeeded in all of the cycles in around 6 weeks.

okay so getting just the ammonia 930 will do. Thanks!

Can you add your country to your profile, as it helps when advising you about products. I am in the UK so not sure if products I would use are available to you? Pure Ammonia is the main item you need for cycling your tank.

when i try to change it in the settings i get an error.
I am in Canada.

One of the fields you filled in requires values in a specific format, but the value you supplied did not meet this format ('Website URL').

Ooer, maybe a mod can pick this up or Admin, send one of them a PM to assist you.

the Ammonia stuff still did not arrive, looks like it will be at least 2 weeks. Is it okay to setup the tank with the substrate and live plants for now till the ammonia comes? also, was thinking of doing an all female betta tank in the 5gal. How many can i add, was thinking 4?

Yes it's fine to set up the tank on the meantime while you wait for delivery of that ammonia.

The plants should be fine for a couple weeks as well, so no need to worry too much.

As for a female Berra sorority, a 5 gal tank is nowhere near big enough am afraid.

A Betta sorority needs a least a 20 gal tank, actually 30 gals plus would be better for at least 5 females, as these females can get aggressive so they need space to hide in and to escape.

A 5 gal can only be suitable for a single betta splenden with a snail or two. Or perhaps as shrimps only set up.

Most reactions

Back