Thinking Of Buying A New Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ashcole1989

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I'm wondering whether to change my filter.
I currently have a hang on the back external marina s20. I cleaned the casing out last weekend and discovered it wasn't flowing last night and I had to clean it all out again. It's fairly new and my fish in cycle is not quite there yet, but I'm concerned the filter isn't good enough for my 90l tank it was bundled with, as I'm at a low stock as it is.

Water was crystal clear with super happy fish last week and was still clear last night but the filter was clogged up. Media was ok so just shook them about in some tank water to remove extra debris.

So I'm looking at fluval 206 but was wondering if there are any suggestions or what external filters are good?

Thanks

There are quite a few decent external filters out there.

Depends on your budget and what you want from a filter.

Personally I am a fan of Tetra Tec EX filters as find these sturdy and give good performance.
Second choice would be Eheims as have heard these to be good reliable filters.

If budget is low, APS filters give decent value for money but build quality sometimes not the best apparently.

Fluvals are good also, the FX6 did get filter of the year according to PFK so not to be sniffed at either.

I would suggest you go around various LFS and have a look and feel of these different brands and read reviews and comments and i think choosing a filter is more of a personal choice of what YOU feel would be good for your tank and set up.

The marina HOB, i find are actually fairly good, I have one on my 40 l / 10 g and i like the simplicity of this filter and easy as anything to maintain, would keep this Marina HOB as a backup in case anything goes wrong with your new filter.

Thanks for the reply!

I do love how the marina filter is, and it really is easy to maintain. I plan on saving it for sure and a nice back up or for a smaller tank. I just feel it isn't good enough for my tank size, especially if I fully stocked it! I am wondering if I just need to get all the crap out of the tank still and I'll be keeping my eye on things for now.

I've had a look around and would like something easy still to maintain but more than adequate for 90l. Money isn't too much of a worry, £100 I feel should be enough.

I'll take a look at the Tetra Tec as I haven't really researched them yet. I geel thst my filter knowledge is one of my weakest points at the minute so any advice will help :) in the mean time I'll keep on looking!

206 is a good filter! Keep the bag of carbon in case of emergency, fill the top two baskets with ceramic media an your away. FX6 may be a tad large for a 90L

KirkyArcher said:
FX6 may be a tad large for a 90L

Yes, am aware FX6 is a bit large for a 90 l, was just using that as reference to give op that Fluval do make decent filters since won filter of year with that FX6.

wasn't having a dig Ch4rlie just advising ashcole1989
smile.png

The thing to remember with filters is they are the heart and lungs of a tank. With having so many tanks I make sure I have a spare filter as a back up just in case, which is why I have changed all my filters to All Pond Solutions filters, the prices of theirs you can get 2 and keep one as a spare. They are excellent filters.

Also remember that how clear the water is does not mean the water is "good".

Thanks for the Info guys it's been a great help.
Since posting I again had to clean down my filter casing and Intake pipe due to being clogged up. I'm waiting for payday and I'm leaning towards the 206 with the spray bar.
My water has been clear and tests are all good.
I am finding the gravel gets filthy as all the water doesn't seem to get cycled, but I just like everything to be clean (OCD). Fish still love it and are thriving :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back