Think I Messed Up...

i did my first water change the start of this thread and been doing 50-90% everyday lol depending how much i think it needs. so today was my 9th day!

update: just checked water stats. didnt check them yesterday but did a water change anyways

checked today and its still looking a bit high tbh. and now my ammonia level has seemed to have risen? not on tne pic but its about 1ppm i think

2a98wwp.jpg

this is bad times, getting a little bit disheartened now if im honest. only got enough tapsafe for 1 more big water change until the 8th aswell. AND i just dropped and smashed 2 of my test kit test tubes! :blink: :blink:
on the upside im guna invest in some prime, seachem matrix and maybe purigen for my new filter to give me the best fighting chance loool

surprisingly aswell ive just seem like 8 fry. which i thought had been eaten lol

update: just checked water stats. didnt check them yesterday but did a water change anyways

checked today and its still looking a bit high tbh. and now my ammonia level has seemed to have risen? not on tne pic but its about 1ppm i think

[IMG ]http://i48.tinypic.com/2a98wwp.jpg[/IMG ]

this is bad times, getting a little bit disheartened now if im honest. only got enough tapsafe for 1 more big water change until the 8th aswell. AND i just dropped and smashed 2 of my test kit test tubes! :blink: :blink:
on the upside im guna invest in some prime, seachem matrix and maybe purigen for my new filter to give me the best fighting chance loool

Just a thought, is your test kit in date?

With that nitrite level I would do a large water change.

I wouldn't get Purigen just yet, I would just use the media that comes with the filter (including the carbon) and add your existing media to the filter, then after a month, remove the carbon and add Matrix/Biomax to the top basket where the carbon is/was.

You shouldn't need carbon or Purigen, only buy Purigen if your water is not clear. Save some money :)

ah i wont get the purigen then. il still get the matrix just to add to the media in the filter and my old handful from my internal which ive got now. il run the carbon until my water tests are fine and its clear. at the minute im a bit under filtered so my water is kinda dull and not 100% clear.

just done a 30litre w/c and will try and keep doing small ones cuz i cant get anymore tapsafe or anything like that

edit: just read purigen lowers nitrates? might still get some to help combat this mini cycle im suffering so badly with. id rather pay a bit of money and have peace of mind and not have to do massive water changes everyday :crazy:

think im guna get the fluval 205. its the one i had before it broke. its a nice filter. and its a #40## sight cheaper than the 405. and it goes up to 200litres so i should be fine. il still run my internal for a while aswell. try and save some money :p

think im guna get the fluval 205. its the one i had before it broke. its a nice filter. and its a #40## sight cheaper than the 405. and it goes up to 200litres so i should be fine. il still run my internal for a while aswell. try and save some money :p

In that case, I would go with a Fluval 206 (I've read it has better flow over the 205 + I have a 206 on my 125 ltr tank) & you can get it for £74.80 + free next day delivery on the website I sent you.

As you can see, with my 206 the water is crystal clear.

fish4.jpg

panda-cory2.jpg

guna have a quick ring around some LFS tomorrow to see if i can get it at the same price or very near from any of them as i would prefer to get it from an actual shop. never been a fan of shopping online tbh lol

think ive been under dosing declorinator to be honest. the bottle says one ful outter cap for 50 gallons. ive been filling the cap but only to the inner cap line on the inside.

i think this is why my tank is #71###ed. man im so stupid lol

just realised where i was filling it to. #40## these multi layer caps!

I never use the caps, I bought some cheap syringes and use them.

Much easier to dose a tank that way :)

just a quick update. i just tested my tap water straight from the tap and its nitrAte level is somewhere in between 10-20ppm? #136###?

surely my test has gone wrong or im doing something wrong.

10-20ppm nitrate in tap water is common. Also not really a concern. Ammonia or Nitrite in tap water is much more of a problem.
Did you mentioned something about having some snails? If you have a dead snail in there it will release a ton of ammonia in a hurry and even if you bio-filter can handle the load of ammonia you will see a nitrite spike until the bio-filter can catch up. If you haven't already done so check you tank well for anything dead. Plants, snails, fish, and fish food all release ammonia as they decompose. Being you are already in a mini-cycle you want any source of ammonia that you can take out of the tank not contributing to the problem. Also reduce food. The more fish eat the more ammonia they make.

so just a quick update decided to go with the aqua one 1250 series 2 i believe. just finished setting it up and stuff. also got some more plants and some seachem prime.

decided to go with the aquaone cuz it was the same price as the 206 but twice the filtration power so now im filtering about 7x an hour. ive got that an my internal running side by side for the minute until i figure out what im doing. ive also temporarily put all my plants in until i rescape. they still have the lead clips on ive just stuck um in the gravel at the back in a line.

my danios are loving the new spray bar which ive put half way up the back of the tank facing up the surface. there just swimming in and out of the flow :lol:

also just did a quick W/c and added a big dose of prime to help it along

Have you tested your water since to see if Prime helped?

My Danios love swimming into the flow and then getting thrown back by it.. they are crazy fish.

But they have started bullying my other fish for some reason so I might have to change them :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back