Think I Messed Up...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Staxx

Fishaholic
Reaction score
last night i did around 30% water change when i got home as it was due. today i got up and tested the water and the fish just dont seem right.i did 30% waterchange and got the algea and bits off my filter sponges(both sides aswell stupidly) my sailfin mollie is hiding in the plants at the back and my tetras are darting around the bottom of the tank. they dont normally do this. the sailfin is a bit shy cuz ive only had it a few days my other black mollie is just hanging around the filter at the top of the tank?

quick badly taken pic of my api water test kit.

256yb85.jpg

any help? am i just panicing?

Nah, looks as though you're going through a small ammonia bump. If this was taken after your water change, I'd change another 30% ASAP. The nitrites look a little too purpley for my liking too, could just be the colour on the camera/computer screen though.Your nitrates could also do with lowering a little if possible, unless that's what comes outta the tap.

i did the change last night and the test this morning. il do another 30% this afternoon.

i do high range ph is that right? or do i do low range aswell?

The high range is fine, looks like your pH is about 7.5 / 7.6 ish :) If you're doing the change later, I'd make it a larger change again - about 50% because there'll be more time for the toxins in the water to build up.

Agree with Tom, do at least a 50% change as there shoul be zero ammonia, zero nitrite & nitrate as low as possible but I believe below 50ppl is not dangerous. If in doubt, continue to do water changes.
Was your tank fully cycled? Maybe going through a mini-cycle?
Hope you get it sorted.

do you think i did "too much" of a clean? i hoovered the gravel, cleaned all the algae off the ornaments and cleaned the filter sponges and filters all in one go?

Can you walk us through how you went about cleaning your filter sponges/media? Have you had any new additions to the tank recently?

currently have a fluval U3 internal. i just took appart the cages which holds the sponges and i think its a carbon filter(one side is black one side is grey its really thin held together by a plastic frame) and i just rinsed it in the water i just took out the tank for the water change. i rinsed both sponges and both "carbon" filters.

i recently added 5 mollies and 2 albino cory catfish. my LFS said i could add these fish at the same aswell..

#40## my noobish ways

Na it's not you - you're not to know if you've been given incorrect info. I assume you know of the nitrogen cycle and how it works to a basic understanding? Anyhow, what's happened is, you've added too many fish all at once and you're going through a mini-cycle because your current bacteria level cannot deal with that amount of fish waste all at once. The bacteria in your filter (also lives on decor and maybe about 5% of it lives in the top few layers of gravel). Cleaning your decor and gravel shouldn't be an issue - the majority should live in the filter media. Where cleaning is concerned, it sounds OK. I'm confident that you didn't do anything wrong. Your LFS gave you bad advice for profit. Many of us fish-keepers take what our LFS' say with a pinch of salt.

If ever you need advice, this is the place to ask for it - there are a lot of experienced members on this forum! :good: Keep us posted on how the mini cycle is!

im currently in the middle of the water change. do i need to do anything else but watch the water level? im guna upgrade to a big external filter in the next 2 weeks for sure! someone recommended the fluval 306 but its a bit out my price range for now. il either go with 205 or if im feeling a bit flush the 405 just for the extra compensation

I think it was me that suggested the 306 :p What about the 305? Perhaps look at some TetraTech models. A lot of externals are very similarly priced. The Fluval 2 series externals won't have enough flow for a 180 litre tank, you need to look at the 3 series or more if you were to choose Fluval.

the website says the 205 does up to 200 litres? or shall i just get a bigger one for the extra filtration?

bigger is better i suppose..

just finished the water change and the fish look a lot happier to be honest. spotted some random snails i didnt knowingly introduce either. probably from the plants i brough from petsathome though.

I'm one for extra filtration, the 206 filters 750LPH, for a tank that close to 200 litres, I would get the next one up :) Do you keep real plants in your tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back