FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
Thought i would have a go at one of these journal jobbies. :shifty:

Right, decided to try Angels again. I'm starting off with a group of 6 and hoping for a pair to form. If this happens then the other 4 will be looking for new homes. I have 5 Koi with a decent amount of pink in them. (I saw some in a lfs today which were labelled as 'Red Angels'??) I believe they are called blushing? I also have a white/platinum Angel which should turn out to be a very nice fish also. I also have 3 Bristlenoses in there from old stocking but unsure whether to keep them as they could eat any eggs that may get laid in the future? What do you think? I noticed that the substrate was becoming littered with debris and uneaten food etc so i have added a small group of 3 Bronze Corydoras to clean things up. May add another 3 or may decide to sell and get a group of 6 Skunk Corys?! Wanting this tank to have something other than just run of the mill fish hence why i chose the Angels with the pink. Also spotted some Copper Harlequin Rasbora's today so may purchase a small shoal of these, but i'm still undecided about other fish aswell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

They are in water with a ph of 7.2 and seem to be thriving. Feeding well on frozen, Tetra Colour Pro and Tetra Prima. Filtration is currently a Fluval U3 but thinking of upping it to a Fluval 205 to hopefully gain a bit more space in the tank for them. Would like to upgrade to a Roma 200 in the future, but that will have to wait for a bit. :lol:

DSCF1975.jpg

DSCF1976.jpg

DSCF1974.jpg

Will update with new pictures and any developments with any potential pairings.

Cheers.

This is a stunning tank but might I make a suggestion Your heater should not be mounted in a vertical position, as this concentrates the heat to the top of the tube and can give false readings to the thermostat.

have you told Juwel that, considering its how they mount theirs ? and have done for the last bazillion years.

nice tank, my friend brought some 'red angels', and tbh they just look like koi's. definitely swap the bronze cories out for something mroe interesting as you say. i saw some delfax cory's today, they looked great. nice platinum angel, im looking to get one to go with my black angel, would make quite a striking pair to look at. im really digging my buenos aires tetra at the moment. they shoal very well and look almost chrome when the light catches them. generally very cheap aswell, so getting a big group shouldnt cost too much. mine cost 1.50 each. and unless im mistaken, angels, cories and BA tetra are all south american ?

I asked on here regarding the BA's as i like them too but was advised that they can become nippy so i crossed them off my list :(

As for the heater, i know they should be angled, but don't like the look of it when it's like that so i leave it straight. As for temperature, i find it the same whether angled or vertical. It's a constant 28 degrees celsius but thinking of lowering to 26. I thought the Skunk Cory's would be very striking for the bottom of the tank. Also need to add a black background which i might do tomorrow. :D

my BA have never nipped anything other than themselves, and even that is a rarity. they also dont eat my plants, which was something else i read they do. ive only got amazon swords and a small crypt, but neither get eaten. my stocking is in my sig, i have very very few squabbling fish, the BA tetra arent in that group. even if they did get nippy, i doubt they'd go after angel fish. and mine rarely go near the bottom of the tank, so cories would be safe aswell.

i also have my heater upright next to my filter output (pic in my sig is old, ive got an external now). the heater and output pipe are where the juwel filter is in the pic in my sig. my thermometer is at the opposite end of the 4ft tank, reading a constant temp equal to what it says on the heater itself.

Thanks for your input, I think if I had 6 though they would be a bit big for the tank?

i think you'd be aright, especially as you arent keeping all the angels. mine have pretty much stopped growing at about 2.5 inches, ive got 5 at that size and today i picked up a tiny baby straggler one, who seems to be loving hanging out with his bigger brothers.

Thinking of some Bandit Cory's, Corydoras Metae. Was looking for Sterbai's but seen them at £7.50 each :blink: The Bandits are 2 for £8 which is still more than i want to pay but they look awesome! Can't decide on shoalers, most Tetra's like acidic conditions and with a ph of 7.2 i don't want to keep them if they would be unhappy. Looked at Emperor Tetra's as they would be more comfortable with that ph. Also considered Glowlights as they were £4 for 5 and was thinking of 10 all together, but i held off... amazingly!

Any ideas?

ive got emporers in mine aswell, great looking fish, sspecially whenthey get nice and big. really ncie creamy colour with dark purple stripe, and yellow tinges on their fins. not cheap though at my lfs'. 3.50 each. i ended up getting mine from pets at home, as they always have multiple buy deals on, i paid for 5, there was only one left in the tank, so he threw that in aswell for free. which is why i asked for 5, knowing there was 6 in there :lol:

heres one of mine

ynyn.jpg

I've got two large Angel Fish in a 190L that will be re-homed when I re-stock (they came with the tank I brought off eBay) they look so big in the tank though :unsure:

And seeing you have that many in a ??L tank, I was just wondering what the space is these fish require?

Nice photo :good:

I had a full grown pair in a 125 litre tank (the one these are now in) and they were fine. But they were the only fish in there.

I have added a black background to my tank now, made a nice difference. No news regarding any potential pairings though... Although my 3 bronze corys that are in there have laid a few eggs. I have scraped them off the glass and put them in a floating hatchery. No idea if thats a good thing to do or not but, better than letting them get eaten.

Pics to follow. :)

Pics as promised :)

DSCF2002.jpg

DSCF2003.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

I have noticed that the Angels have grown slightly, and the Vallis is definately thickening up nicely now :good:

Quick update, Venturi has been removed from filter as it was too noisy and after a bit of investigating (thanks SBS) i don't think it was beneficial. Cleaned the filter out and set it to the spray bar setting. Love the U series filters by Fluval, great features and so easy to maintain. Also added a 600lph powerhead to try and aid the circulation for plant health and growth. The Vallis is romping, multiplying really well. Hopefully going to use some of the runners for my other tanks. Added another peice of wood, mopani this time and a coconut shell for the BN's as another cave. Angels are really growing well now, a few keep swimming side by side, but i don't think this is true pairing as there is no other signs.

IMAG0935.jpg

IMAG0939.jpg

IMAG0942.jpg

Always looking for suggestions and help on tank decor and design. Looking to add a fiew pieces of slate that might interest them to lay eggs on.

Comments more than welcome. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back