The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Afternoon all!

After much hunting around I finally managed to bag my upgrade at the weekend - a Fluval Osaka 320L. Based on previous discussions SEE HERE I'm going to progress my current 125L stock into a SA/CA cichlid focused 320L.

The current stock I have is in my profile, and I will probably gradually change this over time to something along these lines

Keeping -
1 angel
1 BN
2 Bolivian Rams
3 Rosy White Tip Tetra
5 albino bronze corys

New Addtions
- 1 Rotkeil Sev (or similar sized 'centerpiece' cichlid)
- 5 more Rosy White Tip Tetra - 8 total (if I can find some)
- 2 more bolivians (4 total)
- 3 more albino bronze corys (8 total)

ANY COMMENTS OR ALTERNATIVE SUGGESTIONS TO THE STOCK ARE MOST WELCOME!

DECOR
I currently have quite a well planted tank, but I'm not going to provide C02 and the dosing of EasyCarbo would cost a small fortune on a 320L, so will probably scrap the plants. The main scape will consist of failr large pieces of twsited wood - maybe even try to immitate some tree roots and have some 'escaping' the waterline.

Will move substrate to sand

AGAIN - ANY COMMENTS & SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

FILTRATION
Currently have a Fluval 305 & U3. Think this will be adequate to start with, but will look for an additional external to replace the U3.

LIGHTING
The tank comes with a twin T5 54w rig - this is probably going to be quite bright for the scape, so I'd love to hear suggestions on dimming the intesity of the lighting. Maybe remove the reflectors?

Eventually this thread will turn into a journal - but the tank title of 'The Slow Burner' reflects how quickly I expect to get it up and running properly!

You won't have to scrap the plants, unless the fish are an issue, and I don't think they are... With that lighting you could go non-CO2 route, but the idea of no waterchanges after the tank is established may seem odd to you. I'll give you more details if you want them.

Use floating plants. It's what I do to cut light. I use salvinia minima, but Amazon frogbit may be great for you. This an open top tank or with a hood?

Sounds like a fabulous setup. I love upgrades.

:)

You won't have to scrap the plants, unless the fish are an issue, and I don't think they are...

Use floating plants. It's what I do to cut light. I use salvinia minima, but Amazon frogbit may be great for you. This an open top tank or with a hood?

:)

I think the Severum will churn any plants that I put in there. Would be interesting to know your thoughts on supporting them without CO2 injection or liquid additive though.....

Floating plants - nice idea. Tank is open topped - here's a pic http://www.tropicalfish-scotland.com/res/aquariumequip/339/1_bi.jpg?2

That tank is SWEET!! :good: That severum is so beautiful.

Floaters would look awesome in that tank.

You can keep severums if you establish the plants first, and are clever to use your hardscape to help protect the plants, then add the fish. Takes a little bit of time, though. I've seen severums with live plants. hahaha! You said this was going to be a slow burner. :lol:

I don't add CO2 or dose this tank, have a look at my journal.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/347634-lljs-ada-tank-refugees-from-endor/

Are you going to stick with plants from the same region or are you flexible?

In my experience Sevs are an absolute no go with plants. Floating plants will constantly be nibbled at as well.

Best thing to do is get two tanks - one for the Sevs and one for plants :lol: That's what I did as I love them both :lol:

These golden severums didn't get the memo.

I don't link to outside places very often, but check out this tank!

http://www.positiveculturecompany.com/fam-fun-pages-files/Aquarium-files/serverumspawn.htm

These golden severums didn't get the memo.

I don't link to outside places very often, but check out this tank!

http://www.positiveculturecompany.com/fam-fun-pages-files/Aquarium-files/serverumspawn.htm

Interesting.....unless the tank was planted 30 seconds before that photo and lasted 30 seconds after it! :lol:

It seems we may have a debate on our hands on Sevs vs Plants......I've seen plenty to sugges that the Sevs win. Anyone out there with experience of keeping them in a planted tank?

The plants in the pictured tank are well-established plants. The look of the plants betray that. Those crypts are displaying submerged growth, as are the swords. Not newly planted emersed growth. May well be a debate. Saw in the NYC aquarium a well-established planted tank with red-bellied piranha, so perhaps livestock options can be more flexible with regard to planted tanks if one takes the time to establish the plants before adding the livestock. Granted piranhas are characins, not cichlids, but they are still very large fish and messy.

Here's some pics of the tank after I collected it yesterday...

How I got the tank and stand into my family hatchback.....
DSCF14111.jpg

The tank - the brushed aluminium trim needs some attention - will probably paint or find some form of self-adhesive stuff to cover.
Osaka004.jpg

I get the feeling it may have been used for marine....
Osaka001.jpg

It holds water.....which is good!
Osaka005.jpg

Got a local tradesman to come round and reassemble the cabinet
Osaka006.jpg

....did a pretty decent job!
Osaka008.jpg

I don't know if it's any help, but I'm still in the process of properly decorating my 370L and have stolen shamelessly from Davo. I'm hoping to finish it off today, so hopefully I'll be able to post some photo's later to show you what I mean.

I've gone with a bogwood tangle that takes up the bottom half of the tank (it's quite a tall tank - Rena Aqualife 120) with red moor wood on top of the tangle along the length of the tank. I've now bought an artificial plant that I'll be hanging down to the red moor wood to try and recreate some sort of river bank effect. I'm not sure how well that'll work for you with an open topped tank. I suspect one way of dealing with it would be to use aquarium sealant to stick strands of the artificial plants onto the side of the tank at the waterline, then add floating plants along the back wall to hide it - not sure how well that would work though.

I don't know if it's any help, but I'm still in the process of properly decorating my 370L and have stolen shamelessly from Davo. I'm hoping to finish it off today, so hopefully I'll be able to post some photo's later to show you what I mean.

sounds very interesting - would be great to see some photos.

Not a great pic and I've not fine tuned the decor just yet but this should give you an idea of what I was talking about:

100_2479.jpg

I'm planning on trying to spread out/separate the stems and bring some of them downwards and probably add a bit more bog wood and red moor wood to get a reasonable layering effect.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back