the next fish on the list

juanveldez

helping big fish eat little fish everyday
Reaction score
okay so my list is always evolving and after I get my mota here and settled in I plan on getting a newer bigger tank and possibly getting a
Crenicichla scotti so lets start the teaching so that I can be ahead of the learning curve. I am totally excited about my Mota and cant wait to see him in real life I have heard from CM this morning that he is the biggest and badest male that he has in stock. and am deffinatly thinkin of getting him a girl friend to have in the 75 while they are still small then up grading to a larger tank later. then I will have a free 75 and will probably end up putting a pike in there.

I think I'm missing something here. You've got one tank, a 75 gallon, and are planning on getting a bigger one. You are keeping Mota in the 75, upgrading it for them, putting a pike in there. Do you mean the Scotti then, or are you referring to the Scotti and pike as two seperate fish? And if so, what do you mean by pike?

this is how it breaks down there CA. when I finally get the money together to get a 180 gallon tank get it up and cycled I am going to move a breeding pair of motas which I am getting after the new years to there. at which time I will have an empty 75 gallon tank, so I am planning for my next fish to be a Crenicichla scotti, and he would go in the 75, the reseach that I did says that they get to be about 10- 12 inches. the C scotti falls into a genus of south american pike. there are over 75 different species in this genus that make for a wonderfuly diverse group of fish.

I dont know about the scotti but i have a C.saxatillis pike cichlid and he is one of the best fish i have ever owned. I was given mine for free by a lfs that had found him and some other fish dumped on the doorstep but didnt want the pike as they dont have room to give predatory fish seperate tanks and he was already 6" or so so capable of eating most of the fish they stock.
My pike is very interactive and always the first to the front of the tank when i go near for feeding or water changes, he is also the easiest predator i have ever had to feed as he will take anything from floating arowana sticks and catfish pellets to bloodworms shrimps and meaty frozen foods.
Mine is kept in my 200g with a mixture of large and predatory fish (plus a few refugees from the 75 i had to close down) and i have yet to see any sign of aggression, id recomend pike cichlids to anyone and plan to have a few more in the future.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back