The new TFH is out .

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Another great issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine just hit the newsstands or my mailbox as the case may be here . Stellar photography , breeding tips and more . A great article on the Rainbow fishes that many TFF Forum members wax so eloquently about and a Corydoras article that will have you running to your LFS to get some .
IMG_0847.jpeg

Ooo...and ADF's, too!
Yes . African Dwarf Frogs . There is information in that article that was eye opening to me . I donā€™t have ADFā€™s but two of my Granddaughters do and love them . Two very important things I learned are that their skin is fragile and even the slightest scratch can set them up for a fungal infection so soft gravel , if there is such a thing , or sand is the preferred substrate . A bare bottomed aquarium is even better for the other important thing . They are very slow about finding their food and fish always out compete them . Food falling into cracks and crevices is often overlooked as well . The article states that almost all of them sold are wild caught . That surprised me . Also , they do best in groups of six or more as they are social creatures .

I love my ADFs - they're adorable and charming, and the males often sing in their tank late at night. And yes, I keep mine on fine sand to avoid impaction (though I did lose one to impaction from a stupid frog pellet...which was more than a little annoying and obviously I don't feed that brand any longer). Mine are hand-fed with tweezers, mostly brine or mysis (sp?) shrimp & the occasional tubifex and daphnia.

One of mine is a bit deformed, which I'm guessing happened when he was caught. Dislocated shoulder, looks like. But he's been like that the whole time I've had him, and I feel him by hand specifically because he's not great at hunting.

I so need some cories, too, though I'm waiting to upgrade my tank. I'll have to look for this issue next time I'm at the shop! :)

*Edited to add - the cories will go in my bigger tank. The ADFs have their own.

I really need to subscribe to that. It would keep me happy in between bow hunting magazines. :)

Mrs. Badger had a dwarf frog when she was in college. It sang, too. Sounded just like one of those early 80s handheld video games.

I really need to subscribe to that. It would keep me happy in between bow hunting magazines. :)

Mrs. Badger had a dwarf frog when she was in college. It sang, too. Sounded just like one of those early 80s handheld video games.
Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine is a bargain at $28 dollars a year for a six issue subscription. The printing quality is excellent , there are no advertisements other than aquarium supplies and the photography is also excellent . Thereā€™s nothing like reading a magazine . Much more enjoyable than a computer screen .

My favorite archery magazine went all-digital during covid and never came back. I cancelled my subscription. I like paper magazines.
I like paper magazines too and they are getting rare . Iā€™m not even sure there are full 12 issue magazines anymore . None that I know of . The internet really killed them . No , I take that back . WE killed them . If this is progress then Iā€™m glad to be a Luddite .

Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine is a bargain at $28 dollars a year for a six issue subscription. The printing quality is excellent , there are no advertisements other than aquarium supplies and the photography is also excellent . Thereā€™s nothing like reading a magazine . Much more enjoyable than a computer screen .
Thatā€™s a very good price for a high-quality publication. I think I may have to subscribe. Itā€™s been ages since Iā€™ve had an actual magazine subscription. I think the last time I had anything like that was back when I was in elementary schoolā€¦ And youā€™re right, thereā€™s just something about physical media. The internet is wonderful for the sheer amount of information it has, but it somehow feels more personal and meaningful when itā€™s printed on paper. Itā€™s why Iā€™ve still hung on to physical books even in the age of ebooks and audiobooks.

Most reactions

Back