The New 35 Uk Gallon Reef Tank

Thats what i was thinking as i searched for tourch corals on the internet an the pictures where totaly different but when i come across pics of frogspawn i knowtised they were same.

Picked up another 5kg of liverock yesterday along with a rock full of mushroom corals and a sand sifting starfish. will get some pics up later on today.

Here is the pictures of the sand sifting star fish and my new moon lighting that i got through the post from ebay.

marinetank240308050.jpg

And here it is burrying itself as soon as i added it to the tank
marinetank240308047.jpg

And here is the new moonlighting that i have fitted today.
marinetank240308055.jpg

marinetank240308054.jpg

The moonlighting kit is brilliant. as i said before i brought it from ebay for £24.49 inc P&P. It consists of 3 x 12" rubber flexible strips which each have 15 LED's in them. they are completely waterproof and come with a 300ma 12v converter and It took me about an hour to fit

Not a great deal has changed but fort ide post a few pics of how things are progressing. Not got any new fish or corals for a few weeks now but i didnt manage to get the extra liverock needed to fill up the right side of the tank so it looks much better now.

And i have also set up a water change container under the tank as i was fed up of spilling water everywhere. Brought a 25l plastic storage container for £3 and a 750l/h pump with 1m of pipe and 2 90degree elbows for £14 for £17 total for a water change tank u cant complain at that price lol.

One question i used it today and all was good but as expected it left about 10mm of water in the container will this be ok to mix in with the next lot next week???

next thing is an auto top up container using another of the same storage boxes and a auto top up kit from ebay for around £50 which looks ok.

heres a few pics of how things are now.

marinetank240308066.jpg

marinetank240308068.jpg

here is the new mushroom rock i got a few weeks back an sed ide put pictures up of it.
marinetank240308069.jpg

And now the water change container
marinetank240308071.jpg

marinetank240308074.jpg

marinetank240308075.jpg

marinetank240308073.jpg

Ime going to be making the door to hide all the filters etc away this week so everything will look a lot better once they are on.

Its looking a little empty in there.. have you not got any stuff to put in from the old tank? PMSL :rofl:

Joking aside looks really good. The rock work has a nice flow to it :) Has the brain coral improved any ?

ha ha very funny lol Yea i think the brain coral is on the mend. where the flesh has started to die and go pink it gone a yellow kind of colour and looks to be growing back so touch wood it will be ok.

Now i have got problems with my leather coral check out the inverts and corals section as ive put a post in there.

Yup leathers can be a bit grumpy. My devils finger and bothe of my cabage leathers have gone through a shrink back and shed, I must admit I did panic a bit myself but they are slowly getting to normal.
I just lost £100 of soft corals due to the royal mail not delivering next day :( it took them too days to deliver a next day parcel by which time I lost 2 large sponges a pink coli leather and another yellow mushroom leather.. I'm gutted and the supplier wont give me any of my money back :(

ahhh no way i cant believe that sorry to hear it. stupid royal mail not being capable of delivering a next day parcel the next day.

Ive been shopping today and brought my final 4 fish for the tank. A algea blenny 2 humbug demsels and a yellow head demsel.
here is a few pics of the fish but i will get some better ones once they have settled in.

marinetank240308080.jpg

marinetank240308078.jpg

marinetank240308079.jpg

Heres the leather today its not looking better its getting worse but hopefully this week will be better.
marinetank240308082.jpg

Ive now knowtised a few new things growing in the tank. First is pictured below its the red growth it kinda looks like a brillow pad lol Anyone know what it is??
marinetank240308084.jpg

And secondly this purple stuff is growing on my mushroom rock???
marinetank240308085.jpg

Red brillo looks like a type of macro which is pretty ace you lucky thing!..lol And the purple maybe some type of sponge? Ive seen this before in another tank that gre won live rock and cant remember what it was..lol
The toad does look really rough :( My leather just shrank back then spat out mucus then the next day they where fine. If that where mine I would be a little worried especially as it was such a stunning coral :(

I have to say the loss of my £100 has kind of put me off for a while and if I do get anything else I'll just stick to one or two at a time then the loss is not too great. I hope your toad picks up soon :)

I would just keep and eye on your 3 stripe damsels. Ive lost 2 so far with fin rot :( seems to be something they are prone to. when I get another I'm going to stick it sraight into quarantine as once these guys go into the tank catching them to treat means a full tank strip down :( Also your yellow head damsel if infact a talbots damsel. Gorgeous little fish :)

Not a gd day today. i woke up to find my peppermint shrimp picking at something that was infact my algae blenny.....dead.

Done all the various test this morning and everything is fine stat wise, and nothing else in the tank is showing any signs of stress.

It was perfectly active the night before and eating fine and picking at various bits of algae. I have knowtised that it was eating the skin and crap comming off the leather coral i dunno if this may not of done it any good?? as if ime right leathers give of some kind of chemical as a defence system and i dunno if this would of been in the skin that the algae blenny was eating and finished it off???

Always tough to diagnose random deaths like that. Could have been the leather finishing it off, and could also have been the phase of the moon...

Time for another update i think. All is going very well currently, all fish, corals and inverts are doing great. I come across some old pictures the other night of when the tank was first set up and couldn't believe the change in the rock colours and quick growth of coraline algae.

Ive got a few new additions to the tank. A coliflour coral, a plate coral and a small button polyp frag.

marinetank250408009.jpg

marinetank250408012.jpg

marinetank250408015.jpg

marinetank250408079.jpg

marinetank250408089.jpg

marinetank250408088.jpg

marinetank250408100.jpg

marinetank250408104.jpg

no all 3 of my gobys are fine with the corals as ive read that it only seems to be sps corals that they pick at as i think littleme had that problem.

they all seem to host the corals though. As you can see the yellow goby likes to play in the frogspawn ( though i fort they gave off a nasty sting???) The green likes to host the medusa and then the citreon just hosts them all.

Most reactions

Back