The Narrows Central Queensland

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
We went for a small field trip to a place called the Narrows near the coast which is approximately 1 1/2 hrs from my house. On the way there where quite a few dry culvets and 3 creeks that still had water in them, so we stopped to see what sort of aquatic live we could see in them.
On the way to the Narrows

The biggest body of water was actually salty or quite brackish as it had some mangroves growing along the banks, all I did see where some Pacific Blue Eyes but there was bound to be plenty of other fish life there. It was also alive with sandflies so we didint stop for long and being croc country I was not eager to go wading about in water that was too deep to see clearly through.

At the Narrows itself at the boat ramp the water is fully salt with mudflats and mangroves galore, I did see a couple of mudskippers but the sandflies where vicious and I was more interested in sampling the much smaller fresh water creeks we had crossed on the way out.

This creek (sorry no idea if it even has a name) amazed me, it was packed full of Pacific Blue Eyes, Flyspeck Hardyheads, some variety of rainbow fish that I could not catch to identify, gudgeons and native glass shrimp. The creek also had some flow in it  with fresh water flowing down stream. It appears I may have caught at least one rainbow fish that I am keeping my fingers crossed for actually being a Rhadinocentrus sp. There was also a lot of insect life in the form of water skaters and other water beetles busy scuttling about.

Another creek I stopped to look in had lots of plant life but I only saw a few blue eyes and rainbows, this creek was not running.

Upon getting home and transferring the fish and shrimp to a tank to better look at them and start acclimatising them to my local town water, most of the glass shrimp had gone a "stressed" blue very pretty but not likely to keep the beautiful colour once settled in my pond.

A stressed blue glass shrimp

Later I will try to get some decent photos of the Flyspecked Hardyheads, the little rainbow and the solitary gudgeon.

beautiful photo's ... really stunning. You live in a lovely place :)

The shrimp is a bit less stressed now and has dropped most of its stunning blue, there is still a hint of blue but otherwise she has returned to their more usual colouration.

An obliging Flyspeck Hardyhead

And the reason I am simply in love with Blue Eyes species.....stunning electric eyes

Love the shrimp, Wonder how they would look in my tank.

NickAu said:
Love the shrimp, Wonder how they would look in my tank.

I think there are Glass Shrimp in Vic
wink.png
  they are pretty wide spread along the East Coast just not in WA, and its luck of the draw to get interesting coloured ones.

Lovely pics of our wild country and the fish are stunning....love those blue eyes

As much as I love my local Pacific Blue Eyes, I think I still have an even softer spot for the Harvey Creek Pacific Blue Eye their finnage is amazing

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back