The Joys Of Pet Store Salesman (New Fish Help)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TheDon

Reaction score
Hello, 

6 days ago I set up a 10 gallon tank and have been letting it naturally cycle. I decided today to go to my local pet store and check out some fish. The owner was there and was very informative and helpful... or so I thought. By the end of my visit he convinced me that fish-in cycle is the "natural" way to do it. I ended up walking away with 3 Tiger Barbs each about a heavy inch long. I was told these would be great fish for my tank! I realized I messed up as soon as I got home and checked Advert for another forum removed, smh. I really do not want to return my barbs as they have already been put through enough. They seem to be very content with each other swimming together in a group. As of right now I cannot afford a larger tank as i'm a broke college student
sad.png
. I would be able to upgrade to a 29 gallon tank around spring time. I apologize for the long text and questions but i feel so responsible for these fish. What i'm wondering is:

-Will my tank setup be fine if i just leave the three in there until i can afford to upgrade?

-Would it be better to add 3 more barbs to bring my fish total to 6 so they can be in a school?

-What's the most humane way to cycle my tank with the fish now in it? 

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Pet store fish can usually handle a lot, so breathe :) My pet store also screwed me with a barb, i had NO idea about them and only bought one to see how i could handle them, huge mistake(only because he is with peaceful fish and by himself) :( anyway.. your barbs should be fine with 3. Your barbs should be fine in this tank until spring. however i do suggest getting that larger tank. I cycled my 10 gal. with the barb and he was fine and perfectly healthy. the most "humane" way would be to do a 50% - 75% water change weekly. (dont worry so much about pH and all that unless they get sick, let the tank have a natural pH, the fish are used to fluctuating pH since they come from a pet store.)  

I am a broke college student as well, so i feel ya. If need be, just take the fish back and go for some platys or something, they can handle a lot too. 

I'm more familiar with fishless cycling but have become familiar with fish-in cycling as I'm cycling a tank right now with some relatively fragile angelfish. 

Rather than 50-75% once a week, I would do 20-40% daily water changes. If you haven't already done so I would suggest investing in a water testing kit, even if it's just one with the little strips you dip into the water.  Especially during your cycling process, checking water daily can be important.  If you can't afford the testing kit, places like Petco and Petsmart will test your water for you if you bring in a sample. 

Feed your fish sparingly, maybe only even once every other day.  It isn't going to hurt them at all and it's going to help keep ammonia levels down. 

The barbs should be fine until you can upgrade, but if you plan on putting them with other fish you will need a bigger tank and a bigger school of fish.  So if you do decide to keep the barbs, that's pretty much all you can have in your tank until you upgrade.

Definitely do not get any more fish until the tank has cycled.  More fish = more waste = more ammonia / nitrates.

Once all has settled down (in terms of the cycle) you can review what / if you want to add or do.

Also agree with the smaller daily (or every few days) water change rather than a large water change once per week.

First, welcome to the forum TheDon 
welcomeani.gif

Sorry to hear that the LFS has not been giving the best advice for you.

But this is not anything new, LFS has been known to give any advice you want to hear in order to sell more of their products.

Think a valuable lesson has been learned, take LFS advice with a big pinch of salt, do research first and foremost and ask on this forum before buying anything if you are ever unsure.

Now, here is a couple of links for information on Tiger Barbs.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/60999-tiger-barb/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/puntius-tetrazona/

A 10 gal tank is not big enough as you already know and stated.I'd say geeing another 3 to bump numbers to 6 would be good but far too many for a 10 gal, instead I would recommend you would be much better off re-homing or taking these guys back to the LFS and starting a Fishless Cycle, much much easier and less stress all round.

i would say best to read this first...

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Then read this one about Fish In Cycle and compare the two, Fishless Cycle is easier, no question about it.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

If you do decide to go ahead with Fishless Cycle (highly recommended) you will need a ammonia source, this may help give you an idea what to look for.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427161-ammonia-and-bacteria-starter-sources/

mrstwalker said:
dont worry so much about pH and all that unless they get sick, let the tank have a natural pH, the fish are used to fluctuating pH since they come from a pet store. 

This is quite a statement saying fish are used to fluctuating ph, no fish are good with fluctuating ph am afraid.

This is more to do with the hardness or softness of water rather than actual ph in which fish may go into osmotic shock which can be very damaging and even fatal.

Some interesting information on this link about myths of ph shock here,

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/water/73-myths-of-ph-shock.html

Update:

Well it seems as if i'll be able to do a fish-less cycle here very soon. This morning all of the barbs actually seemed comfortable and adjusted. I checked the water with strips in the morning and my ph was at 7, nitrites were at 0ppm, nitrates at 5ppm, and ammonia was a low .25, so I was feeling pretty good. I got home from school today and the two healthiest looking ones had died. This was actually kind of a relief. The only one left has been heavily breathing since it was placed in the tank. It's probably only a matter of time for that little dude. 

Anyways, thanks everybody for all the help in letting me make the best of my situation(I know not the worst but still). I'll be making another post here in a couple of weeks to show off my second attempt, hopefully with some live plants. The feedback I received was excellent. Thanks all and see you soon.   

Local fish shops are not only full of fish, they are also full of ...[fill in faeces-related metatphors here}.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back