The Impossible Dream

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Had a bit of a play while waiting for the kettle to boil.

new rocks.png

top shot.png

Think I need a few more still but really like some of the groupings that have come out of this version - particularly the island on the left.

I really like that Wills, but then I really liked the last one you came up with too! I do admire your patience, how you've managed to keep that tank dry for as long as you have I'll never know. I considered mbuna before I decided on my rainbows but I felt totally out of my depth, for some reason it was intimidating 🫣 one day!

I really like that Wills, but then I really liked the last one you came up with too! I do admire your patience, how you've managed to keep that tank dry for as long as you have I'll never know. I considered mbuna before I decided on my rainbows but I felt totally out of my depth, for some reason it was intimidating 🫣 one day!
I totally know what you mean, I avoided them for so long but once you get into it and start learning a bit it does make sense. Its so different in some respects to other parts of the hobby but once you get your head around a few things and also accept that a lot of people just keep them badly... but there are definitely ways of keeping them responsibly and naturally.

It has definitely been tough not filling the tank but its been a perpetual 'done in 6 weeks' and then something happens. I've said to my wife that if we dont get somewhere soon I'm just going to set up as is and deal with it when the building work starts. The fact I've changed to Mbuna now actually makes it easier as no plants, no substrate system, the rocks are just stacked and glued so when I have to move it, it should be a simple tank to take apart and move and set up again in an other room for likely 2-3 weeks, though water changes to that room would be tricky.... urgh. Now I've talked myself back into waiting...

Wills

The fact you've been planning and replanning this for 2 years has been a lovely example to me, I'm incredibly impulsive and have little to no self control 😂 I'm really looking forward to seeing the results to all your research. What I love about the hobby is that it's ever evolving, what we see in our minds is not always something we can replicate in a glass box but we tinker until we're satisfied. And, especially with plants, just watching it do its thing is fun as well. From my very little understanding of Mbunas, they like to rearrange their surroundings so that will be interesting to see 🤩 I'll be keeping close tabs on this thread....

The fact you've been planning and replanning this for 2 years has been a lovely example to me, I'm incredibly impulsive and have little to no self control 😂 I'm really looking forward to seeing the results to all your research. What I love about the hobby is that it's ever evolving, what we see in our minds is not always something we can replicate in a glass box but we tinker until we're satisfied. And, especially with plants, just watching it do its thing is fun as well. From my very little understanding of Mbunas, they like to rearrange their surroundings so that will be interesting to see 🤩 I'll be keeping close tabs on this thread....
Thanks :) I think my patience comes from starting up a few times and making a lot of mistakes by diving in feet first. I don't think my original plan would have been a mistake but there were risks that made me feel a bit uncomfortable so think this is the right route. And the funny thing is that its actually made me want 2 tanks here... one Mbuna and one Peacocks the space we are making with the building work will mean this is possible and if I can get the maintenance nailed on this tank having a second at the same time next to it wont be too bad - plus 2 75s is only 150 and I've managed a 135 before.

I'm well prepared for them moving all the sand around haha! All these rocks will likely be siliconed in place in quite big sections so it should only be the sand that gets chucked around :)

Oh wow, do it! 🤩 what a stunning corner you'll have there, all this waiting and inconvenience will be so worth it if that's the reward.

Feeling comfortable is so important, something I've learned over the years. It's no use throwing yourself into something and just constantly feeling stressed and making unnecessary mistakes. Where's the joy in that 😒

IMG_0004.jpeg

And here we are building work compete and tank fully cleaned out stand adjusted.

Having a day trip on Friday to get some rocks from a landscaping company, also going to go to pro shrimp to get some smaller rocks and possibly the sand (also going to wharf for some other fish for my other tanks). I’ve decided against the fake rocks as they are just a bit too rough and I also just want the natural materials rather than the plastic - nothing against it just personal preference.

Cleaning the tank has restored my faith in it as the scratches on the base are fully visible now and not that bad - also found some egg crate the old owner gave me and that is doubly reassuring as I can use them but also he must have used them so the base won’t be over stressed.

Looking forward to the next few weeks!

Wills

I tried to get to that landscaping company but they wont let the public onto their site anymore :( I've finally given up on finding nice cheap rocks so have spent a few pennies and ordered 2 mega boxes of Wio Black Venom Boulders. I've quite fancied these for a while and I've seen the 'rock' version of them at Horizon Aquatics but they only had small-medium sized pieces. I've emailed and asked for as spherical pieces as possible but also as big as possible! They are coming direct from Spain, which is crazy to think how heavy these boxes must be!

https://www.wio.eco/product-page/black-venom-boulder-mix

5f6902_dac36fa66ba8447ca2fcee1b0c46eeab~mv2.png

This is a different set but it gives an idea of what I'm going to receive - should be 14 rocks in total

5f6902_306a3cdc78674d52931b726b350ef68c~mv2.png

Oooh I say, them be some nice rocks! Have you decided on substrate? I can't remember without going back some pages...

Oooh I say, them be some nice rocks! Have you decided on substrate? I can't remember without going back some pages...
Thanks should be here for the 10th :) Substrate wise I'm not too sure yet, my fall back is the Hugo Kamishi light quartz sand I've used in my other tanks - its a really nice shade and a good grain size, I also have a 15kg bag of the bigger size that I ordered by accident before.... so I might mix that in to make it look more natural. I have also seen some crushed coral sand as well but these rocks might effect my hardness (though it cant raise much more) so I dont think I need to add a sand like that?

I'd say add the coral only if you like it? I can't imagine it making too much of a crazy impact on the hardness but then I've never used it myself in all fairness. The fish would likely be fine even if it did raise gH slightly, wouldn't they?

I'd say add the coral only if you like it? I can't imagine it making too much of a crazy impact on the hardness but then I've never used it myself in all fairness. The fish would likely be fine even if it did raise gH slightly, wouldn't they?
I think my water is so hard already that the Malawis are going to be right at home, I have quite a high Kh too so nothing really ever effects it like wood etc I've not used limestone or corals before but if it does effect it, like you say I think it would benefit them - only thing I might need to be careful of is if the tank gets much harder than my tap it could cause issues with water changes.

I think I'll go for the Hugo Kamishi sand but might wait for the rocks to arrive to make sure they go nicely together :)

Put the tank into the final position tonight and got the frosted background on. Stressful as ever handling this tank! The metal frame just requires a bit of faith that the makers know what they are doing and that enough people use these things to have faith in it! Plus the guy I bought it from must have had it full for quite a while!

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 22.17.56.png

Wills

EDIT: I saw the update Wills. No plants.

Did you have any more thoughts about the nitrate from the tap? I saw it on the last page and I think you were thinking about plants? What about crinum thaianum, my favourite plant of all time! This was my planted 4 foot community tank from years back in one picture. The left half at the back was full of them, but you can really make them out at the back of the first 1/4 (left side of this picture). I purchased them as more or less just bulbs. Can't remember how long they took to grow tall, but I was constantly pruning them, and they all stayed lush green. I didn't even have fertiliser, just a heavily stocked tank. No special lights. Sand substrate. My pH was nearly 8 and the water was as hard as concrete. Nitrate out of the taps was touching 40 ppm.

I also had a 5 x 2 x 2 Malawi tank in the other room. This was all about 9 or 10 years ago. When I had the Malawi, initially it was all ocean rock, then I got rid of all that, and used just lava rock. I prefer the lava rock.

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 13
  • GetAttachment11.jpg
    GetAttachment11.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Put the tank into the final position tonight and got the frosted background on. Stressful as ever handling this tank! The metal frame just requires a bit of faith that the makers know what they are doing and that enough people use these things to have faith in it! Plus the guy I bought it from must have had it full for quite a while!

View attachment 324330

Wills
I love the placement of the tank and lighting!! Can't wait to see it fully set up!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back