The Impossible Dream

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So, tanks in a few days and the list of things to do in my head is getting large so want to write it down and this feels like the best place :)
I'm going through the same sort of mental checklist for switching out my 36g, having to move all the stocking, then setting up the 63g, scaping it and moving them back! Feels like a huge job and I'm kinda dreading it, so planning out all the tasks to get a new set up in place like you're doing makes a lot of sense! :)
- Paint around the tank - negotiated with the management
Is that code for "negotiated with the wife"? :lol:
- I might get new pipes for the filter too, don't know how clean the old ones are, I don't love the FX pipes either. Why are they ribbed? Feel it just gathers dirt in the ribs and always thought it must do something to the flow? The outlet and inlet have some pretty stubborn black brush algae on them I think I can scrub them off but if they don't come up well I'll replace them too, I've seen a new spray bar attachment for the FX range and that might be a good choice in here.
I can't help when it comes to filters and lights, I'm sorry, that's all above my skill level! For cleaning the pipes out though after scrubbing them, you could always soak them in a mild bleach solution and see if they come up then. After the bleach soak, soak them in water with a triple dose of declorinator, then syphon clean, declorinated water through them to remove any bleach traces and let them thoroughly air dry. I've done this with filter hoses and gravel vacs while I was treating for camallanus worms, it wasn't a problem. :)
I reckon then I'm onto the scape and stuff which is pretty easy. The Hugo Kamishi sand I want does not need washing I will also do some soil bags to get some plants going. All going to be easy but need to plan it, I definitely want some moss on the wood, probably Taiwan Moss.

The exciting part! Can I ask which soil you use? Does it leech ammonia for a while and what do you do if it does?
Which would mean I could potentially do first fix on the scape next weekend? Seed the filter with some media and let the soil leach and start the bacteria developing. If that works maybe get the first fish in 3-4 weeks?
Whoops, I see you do expect it to leech! How long does that happen? If I left the soil to leech, but then disturbed it later while planting, would it leech some more?
Not sure what the first fish in will be, dont think I want it to be the Nics but yeah exciting to find out :)

Ah, gonna depend on what's in store? Maybe some nice swords? :D Can't wait to see!!

I'm going through the same sort of mental checklist for switching out my 36g, having to move all the stocking, then setting up the 63g, scaping it and moving them back! Feels like a huge job and I'm kinda dreading it, so planning out all the tasks to get a new set up in place like you're doing makes a lot of sense! :)

Is that code for "negotiated with the wife"? :lol:

I can't help when it comes to filters and lights, I'm sorry, that's all above my skill level! For cleaning the pipes out though after scrubbing them, you could always soak them in a mild bleach solution and see if they come up then. After the bleach soak, soak them in water with a triple dose of declorinator, then syphon clean, declorinated water through them to remove any bleach traces and let them thoroughly air dry. I've done this with filter hoses and gravel vacs while I was treating for camallanus worms, it wasn't a problem. :)

The exciting part! Can I ask which soil you use? Does it leech ammonia for a while and what do you do if it does?

Whoops, I see you do expect it to leech! How long does that happen? If I left the soil to leech, but then disturbed it later while planting, would it leech some more?

Ah, gonna depend on what's in store? Maybe some nice swords? :D Can't wait to see!!

Setting up or moving a tank is a big job - especially if you are scaping it. I found that the hard way with my 600, I took the time in the morning to plan the scape out outside of the tank and really glad I did as when I started moving it, it got so stressful and rushed. I really wanted to enjoy the process but it was so stressful and everything was super heavy so yeah not the relaxing experience I wanted haha. Not sure I could ever do YouTubing far too much swearing!

With this one I'm definitely going to have time to set it up - like equipment etc but when it comes to the actual scaping side of it I'm going to get some specific time set aside as I don't want the same experience.

The pipes could possibly be saved but due to them being the FX ones they are ribbed like pond hose, so I reckon loads of gunk just gathers in the ribbed section inside. I have seen a guide on cutting them and using a pipe decreaser to attach it to traditional hosing and that allows you to use lilly pipes but not going to do that for now. Might do new hoses for now and then maybe upgrade in a year or so.

I use Tropica Aquarium Soil, it does leach ammonia but IMO thats basically the same as a fishless cycle. Though you are not preparing your tank for a full bioload straight away which does not matter to me anyway. When I set up my 8 gallon I did it this way and I did a water change on day 2, 5 and 7 and stopped getting ammonia through and saw nitrites and nitrates coming through so knew something was working - its just a case of timing it so you add fish at the right time. I don't think soil leaches if you disturb it, I've been testing my puffer tank since I moved it all and no problems there.

I really need a shortlist of fish again as my plans have changed since page 1 of this journal lol. It could be those Coral Red Platies I mentioned for my 8 gallon a few months ago. They might be too small for the Nics but... I don't think they will be.

Fluval uses ribbed hoses and it is just annoying. If you don't like them, get some clear plastic hose from a hardware and shove it on the filter.

You can soak plastic items in household bleach to kill algae. Just get a bucket or plastic storage container. Put the plastic items in it and pour a couple of bottles of bleach in it. Let it soak overnight then rinse well under tap water. Leave items out in the sun for a day and rinse again. They should be good to go after that.

NB 1: don't bleach metal items, it causes them to rust.

NB 2: don't use bleach indoors unless the room is extremely well ventilated. If possible do it outside.

NB 3: wear safety glasses, rubber gloves and if possible, a plastic apron to protect you from the bleach. If using bleach indoors in a confined space, wear a respirator so you don't burn your lungs and sinuses.

--------------------
Use the old light unit and add the newer one if you want more light. Have the older unit in front of the newer unit so you don't see the new one.

--------------------
Just fill the entire filter with sponge made for a different brand of filter.

Fluval uses ribbed hoses and it is just annoying. If you don't like them, get some clear plastic hose from a hardware and shove it on the filter.

You can soak plastic items in household bleach to kill algae. Just get a bucket or plastic storage container. Put the plastic items in it and pour a couple of bottles of bleach in it. Let it soak overnight then rinse well under tap water. Leave items out in the sun for a day and rinse again. They should be good to go after that.

NB 2: don't use bleach indoors unless the room is extremely well ventilated. If possible do it outside.

NB 3: wear safety glasses, rubber gloves and if possible, a plastic apron to protect you from the bleach. If using bleach indoors in a confined space, wear a respirator so you don't burn your lungs and sinuses.

--------------------
Use the old light unit and add the newer one if you want more light. Have the older unit in front of the newer unit so you don't see the new one.

--------------------
NB 4 why even use bleach

to kill off algae ( I think there is black beard algae) and other diseases that might be on the equipment.
I would use it on glass. Never plastic.

I would use it on glass. Never plastic.
Bleach is fine for plastics, it's why bottles of bleach are plastic, because bleach doesn't affect plastic.

Bleach won't affect glass short term but if left in contact for months, it can start to etch the glass. However, the bigger problem is silicon. Bleach will cause silicon to break down, so it should not be kept on silicon for more than 10-15 minutes.

--------------------

--------------------

Thats a good idea - the place I'm getting the sponges from is a pond supply place so might have a smooth hose that will fit the fixings but I think they are annoyingly a unique size but not sure?

Its not that I want more light I'm worried the fixing it came with has too much power and isnt adjustable to turn it down, he had a pretty serious algae problem so I think that could be the cause. When I last used my aquasky I also had problems but it is adjustable and I know a lot more now than when I was using it before so perhaps in a better place to use that one?

Wills

Bleach is fine for plastics, it's why bottles of bleach are plastic, because bleach doesn't affect plastic.

Bleach won't affect glass short term but if left in contact for months, it can start to etch the glass. However, the bigger problem is silicon. Bleach will cause silicon to break down, so it should not be kept on silicon for more than 10-15 minutes.
No I'm scared there might be a residue left on the plastic and then it would kill the fish

bleach washes off plastics very easily.
So what about bleach dipping plants to kill parasites and pests?? Does that rinse right off?
I'm a chemicalphobe when it comes to my aquarium 😅

So what about bleach dipping plants to kill parasites and pests?? Does that rinse right off?
I'm a chemicalphobe when it comes to my aquarium 😅
bleach doesn't wash off plants as easily because it reacts with organic matter (basically anything that is alive).

If you get straight bleach without surfactants (soaps), it can come off a lot easier. But most household bleach has surfactants added to it so the bleach sticks to things better.

If you can't buy bleach without surfactants, then get granulated swimming pool chlorine. When added to water it produces chlorine bleach but doesn't have surfactants and can be washed off easily. You can also rinse the plants after dipping, then put them in a container of water and add a triple dose of dechlorinator. Stir it up and wait a few minutes before rinsing again and repeating the dechlorinator.

Baby bottle sterilising solution is also bleach without soaps or detergents, but it costs a lot more.

Urgh I've been messing around with some layouts in the tank tonight and a knocked the light off the tank and one side fell into the tank and the casing of the light is all cracked.

Where it hit the base of the tank has scratched too which is really annoying. It is definitely in scratch territory not chip territory - though I could do with some reassurance tbh as I feel a bit sick...

The light is beyond repair though the whole case is quite a delicate glass like plastic - though it could be glass. Its holding together quite well but its quite sharp and not fixable. I tried my old Aquasky on the tank too and the legs are about 3 inches too short on either side. Double annoying as I can't even sell the Aquael one now to help out too. I could sell the Aquasky but I've tried before and couldn't even get £20 for it and its 2 years on now so even more out of date.

Really really think the scratch in the tank is ok but just a bit unsettled by it - need some time to settle on it before I freak out too much tonight. I bet a lot of tanks are scratched worse from substrate and rocks and the owners never know.

Wills

Still need to calm down about the tank (its only been half an hour) but I think with the lights I'm going to go for the MD Fish Tanks style LED floodlights. He uses them off Amazon, I've seen them in Aldi before too you can get 10, 20 and 30 watt lights and I'd probably need a 2-3 of them. Not sure which to get though, so need a bit or research. I do have the biggest branch I was going to use in the tank but I can't use it without trimming so I could attach them to that and work out a way to mount it on the tank - some simple feet would probably do the job I think I've seen some for sale before.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back