The Forrest

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chris that tank looks great even without plants!

Thanks wrs, apreciate the comments! :)

I've been having second thoughts over the rocks. They seem alittle out of place, but I can't put my finger on it, be it shape, size, colour etc etc. Anyone think the same way?

Thanks,
Chris

I got bored so closed the curtains, locked the door and.... took a FTS! :D

Plants will be ordered when I've finished reading this book and once I've got the hood up and running. So far it's looking like a thick carpet of E. Tenelus with Rushes in the background. :)

BTW, does anyone else agree that it looks abit too far to the right? Just the whole tank I mean, it seems abit off centre to my eyes. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

Thanks,
Chris

P.S: Rocks are out. Looks much better IMO.

Personally i like it, it has sort of natural flow about it the way all the branches seam to reach for the light.
Once the plants are in it will look a lot different.

have you thought of something like Cyperus helferi for your reed type plant

P.S. looking good, i like the lighting effect

You can scrape the silicon off underwater, it should come off in one piece if you're careful.

I'd avoid the Acorus mate. It is semi-aquatic and probably won't last long-term.

Cyperus helferi is quite a demanding plant and is prone to algae as it is a slow grower, probably suitable for a higher light, pressurized CO2 setup only IMO.

You can scrape the silicon off underwater, it should come off in one piece if you're careful.

Cool, I'll give it ago, although I'm thinking if theres any oil or whatever on the razor blade that could contaminate the water?

I'd avoid the Acorus mate. It is semi-aquatic and probably won't last long-term.

Cyperus helferi is quite a demanding plant and is prone to algae as it is a slow grower, probably suitable for a higher light, pressurized CO2 setup only IMO.

Thanks for the plant info. I'm still after a tall thin plant though. Possibly vallis?

BTW I just read through that blog on PFK. It's quite an interesting approach but I'm not sure why he's using the filter? That'll just mean it's not a really a "low-maintenance" tank with sponge cleaning and whatever and it'll cause an NO3 build up over time thus defeat the object of having the plants as an NH3 filter?

Thanks,
Chris

Cool, I'll give it ago, although I'm thinking if theres any oil or whatever on the razor blade that could contaminate the water?

Thanks for the plant info. I'm still after a tall thin plant though. Possibly vallis?

BTW I just read through that blog on PFK. It's quite an interesting approach but I'm not sure why he's using the filter? That'll just mean it's not a really a "low-maintenance" tank with sponge cleaning and whatever and it'll cause an NO3 build up over time thus defeat the object of having the plants as an NH3 filter?

Thanks,
Chris
Don't worry about contamination from the blade, wash it in hot water if you're concerned.

Vallis may work well, it does best in hard water.

Peter's approach does differ from Diana's and I think this makes it more accessable to the public. I would never rely on lack of water changes (allelochemical build-up) to prevent algae, and not having a mech-bio filter to deal with NH3/NH4 is asking for trouble IMO unless there's lots of growth and very low fish load. NO3 build-up in Peter's tank is dealt with by water changes+ plant growth, NH3/4 by the filter+plant growth. Diana's is all dealt with by plant growth, perhaps more "natural" but personally I like my water to look clean and smell fresh.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back