The Fish I Saw At My Lfs

Joinerlavin

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
459
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi,

I was at my LFS buying some books to read up on before I cycle my 48 litre tank.

I was also looking at what fish to buy and put in the tank,

these are the fish I saw and like,

Golden Guppies (should I buy 2 female and one male to ease the stress of the females?), and do they know who are male and female at the LFS???

Moori (These were small, 1 half inch and blue but had no information about them on the tanks, looked on the net but the pictures are not the same what I saw).

And I asked the fish shop about "Otto Catfish", as they are small and clean up the tank, these were £7.50 for 5. But the fish keeper said that they only live up to 3 years and that I should buy a "Ancistrus claro" which they had just got in, but these fish were £9.50 for 1, and he told me that they would live for 12 years.
 
Hi,

I was at my LFS buying some books to read up on before I cycle my 48 litre tank.

I was also looking at what fish to buy and put in the tank,

these are the fish I saw and like,

Golden Guppies (should I buy 2 female and one male to ease the stress of the females?), and do they know who are male and female at the LFS???

Moori (These were small, 1 half inch and blue but had no information about them on the tanks, looked on the net but the pictures are not the same what I saw).

And I asked the fish shop about "Otto Catfish", as they are small and clean up the tank, these were £7.50 for 5. But the fish keeper said that they only live up to 3 years and that I should buy a "Ancistrus claro" which they had just got in, but these fish were £9.50 for 1, and he told me that they would live for 12 years.


EDIT: a 'good' LFS will know how to sex livebearers

stick with one sex of guppies because if you mix them you will get hundreds upon hundreds of babies.

not sure on moori?

go for the otto's. an ancistrus (bristlenose pleco L182) will grow to 6 inches max, and is a bit big for your tank. but ottos on the other hand like a mature tank, so a few cories is best for a few months(but they wont touch algae), or shrimps would be good at picking at fine hair algae etc
 
yes just males, the chances are the females are already pregnant so go with males, but keep an eye on them, they can get boisterous, us lads eh?
 
haha ok cheers. what about black angel fish, they looked pretty cool or will they be to big in my size tank?
 
The Moori will get way too large and way too aggressive for your tank.
 
ok so If i get,

3 male gold guppies,
3 Otto catfish
and 2 dwarf honey gurami's

That would be ok for my 48 litre???
 
yes should be ok, but id be carful with the gouramis and the ottos, gouramis are picky with water conditions, and ottos are Very picky about water quality, so br careful that your nitrates dont creep up on you
 
ok, i will do some research on them so i can get my tank set up fine for them.
 
it is a myth that algae is caused by high nitrates, so the best thing for keeping algae to a low in a non-planted tank, is to have good water movement.

and an algae magnet will help, is your tank glass or acrylic?
 
I think its glass but it is rounded at the front corners, Im not sure??? I am going to have a few real plants in, 4 or 5 small ones.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top