Seahorses I saw from a LFS

elephantnose333434 12

Fish Addict
Joined
May 9, 2023
Messages
982
Reaction score
708
Points
93
Location
Perth, Australia
Many weeks ago, some captive-bred seahorses were on stock (I did not buy them ofc) at my LFS. I then took some photos of them, they are neat yet strange little guys. I'd like to know if you guys have had some experience with keeping seahorses in captivity. :)

IMG_0439.webp
IMG_0441.webp
 
I killed a lot of sea hoses, back in the dark ages before the www… I found the hardest part of keeping them, was feeding them they only eat small easy to catch live food… I had a brackish 55 gallon tank dedicated to breeding mollys… and they would only eat molly babies that were 1-2 days old, and by breeding them in brackish, they would live in the sea horse tank for a few hours only, before they went into salt shock… the sea horses ate them well, but aren’t the most aggressive eaters, or the fastest swimmers, and I’d often have to collect a few dead molly babies out, as they would only eat them while they were live… of course trying to keep them in the dark ages, I was really on my own, trying to keep them… I’m sure there is much more info on them now… I just finally quit, because of how many died in my hands, but I love sea horses…
 
Seahorses are definitely cool but it’s like @Magnum Man said , they’re hard to feed . They also need to be fed several times a day in small amounts . I hear they are having a rough go of it in their natural wild environment and are not thriving in the oceans .
 
I also had a variety of small ones 1.5 to 2 inches tall, at maturity, and they ate freshly hatched brine shrimp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top