The Ember Tetra

Just some shots I snapped this evening:
Half of the group:
IMG_0166-1.jpg

Male:
IMG_0158-1.jpg

Female:
IMG_0162.jpg

Male/Female comparison, this pair has spawned, the Male is on the top and the Female on the bottom (apologies for the slightly out of focus female):
IMG_0167-1.jpg

As you can see there is clear sexual dimorphism between each gender.

They are really lovely! I bought 7 two days ago and another 5 today! Mine aren't quite as deeply coloured as yours.
I read that this might be because my water is quite alkaline... somewhere btw 7.4-7.6, but so far they seem fine.

what is your ph?

cheers

TC

My PH is 7.6 normally, I inject CO2 and that brings it down to about 6.8, but that is a carbonic PH change, the mineral content is still the same, the best way to colour them up is to feed a good quality micro pellet or powdered flake (I use New Life Spectrum Pellets) and supplement with live food.

My PH is 7.6 normally, I inject CO2 and that brings it down to about 6.8, but that is a carbonic PH change, the mineral content is still the same, the best way to colour them up is to feed a good quality micro pellet or powdered flake (I use New Life Spectrum Pellets) and supplement with live food.

good to know!

Thankyou Stand By Setting. I am going to have a look for some today i think. :hyper:

Beautiful fish! I was going to look into a shoal to put in with my betta, but decided against it as I was told they were nippy. :(

I wouldn't advise keeping them with a Male Betta personally either, they are quite nippy sometimes, which is why it's a pretty good idea to have at least 10 to help spread the aggression, mine do chase each other around quite a bit, usually it is the Males fighting over Females :rolleyes: .

Just wondering how many of these i could fit in a 125 litre tank SBS? Also what would be good tankmates? Current setup is rocks and wood but this will be going planted once the other fish have been rehomed.

You could comfortably get 50 in there, but really I think 20-30 would look best, they school quite well as well, good tank mates include those that are found from a similar location in the world so other Amazonian fishes, but make sure they aren't large enough to eat the Ember Tetra's.

Here's another shot I took tonight:
IMG_0329.jpg

I'd keep them with small Corydoras species and a pair or trio of Apistogramma's to act a centre piece fish.
I've always been a fan of keeping only 3-4 species, less is more.

Definitely a planted set up, a black water set up would work well too.

What species of Apisto's? Wouldn't want anything too bright as to detract from the colour of the Embers... Thinking dark Cory's too? Maybe something like peppered or masked?

C.habrosus are small and 'peppered' I believe, A.borellii is a favourite of mine as is A.hongsloi.

Most reactions

Back