The challenge of finding space for more tanks...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bruce Leyland-Jones

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Some of us don't have a lot of space and, given the necessary geography of our living spaces, spare space for a fish tank is often limited.
I know there are these tiny 'nano' tanks, that'll sit on a desk, or next to a table lamp, or whatever, but these are too small for my needs.
(One day, I'm sure I might get into shrimps and snails as worthy replacements for fish, but until then... ;) )

I have very little 'spare' wall against which another tank could be set up and whilst I do have room upstairs, the idea of carrying buckets of water up and down a stairwell or two doesn't appeal just yet. I noticed a lot of my once-available wall space is now covered with radiators, which got me thinking about the two fireplaces in my downstairs rooms.
Central Heating has renedered both fires in them superfluous to requirements and one fireplace is now being turned into a fishtank repository, with the second, larger one, to follow on, later in the year.

So I'm curious...
What clever ways have you found to create space for bigger and better tanks?

Garage?
Fish shed?
Or do what this guy did?

Attachments

• 886E4210-26A4-4B4C-AD9A-2B9280D95990.jpeg
    886E4210-26A4-4B4C-AD9A-2B9280D95990.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 56
Some of us don't have a lot of space and, given the necessary geography of our living spaces, spare space for a fish tank is often limited.
I know there are these tiny 'nano' tanks, that'll sit on a desk, or next to a table lamp, or whatever, but these are too small for my needs.
(One day, I'm sure I might get into shrimps and snails as worthy replacements for fish, but until then... ;) )

I have very little 'spare' wall against which another tank could be set up and whilst I do have room upstairs, the idea of carrying buckets of water up and down a stairwell or two doesn't appeal just yet. I noticed a lot of my once-available wall space is now covered with radiators, which got me thinking about the two fireplaces in my downstairs rooms.
Central Heating has renedered both fires in them superfluous to requirements and one fireplace is now being turned into a fishtank repository, with the second, larger one, to follow on, later in the year.

So I'm curious...
What clever ways have you found to create space for bigger and better tanks?
I have a tank upstairs and find water from the bath taps much quicker to fill buckets than the sink in the kitchen (assuming you have an upstairs bathroom…🤔)

For upstairs tanks, get yourself a cheap pond pump off eBay (£15-20) and a length of pipe. Siphon water out into the bath, then pump water back in from the bath.
I also have a water butt in the kitchen for the downstairs tanks. I gave up carrying buckets a long time ago. :)

When the bracer bar broke on my 125 litre leading to bowing glass I casually suggested to my husband that now the children had left home and no-one played the piano, if we sold the piano I could replace the 125 litre with a bigger tank. I'm surprised no-one heard the sound of my jaw hitting the floor when he said OK.
But I still had the same number of tanks :(

He said later that the humming of the filter in the lounge interfered with his music listening so he was quite happy it's now in the dining room where the piano was.

Not exactly fish tanks, but I have built large “shelving” units for stacking livestock watering tanks. I keep turtles in them.

I have a very tiny local authority flat, so large aquariums are impossible sadly. So went with 4 x 60 litre hexagonals and a 72 litre long.

Two are in the lounge....

IMG_20210902_111544_resized_20210902_111704435.jpg

One is in the hallway....next to the dehumidifier

IMG_20210902_111603_resized_20210902_111704145.jpg

And two are expensive and often noisy (2am Cory gymnastics) bedside lights....

IMG_20210902_111622_resized_20210902_111703799.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back