The beauty of lightly stocked tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A quote, shared with permission, by a member of a fb fish group I’m in

“You know why I will never understand those people who overstock the heck out of their tanks?

Because I love the subtle beauty of having a well-planted, minimally stocked tank, where the fish can DECIDE whether or not you see them. Looking at your tank and occasionally seeing the flash of scales of a healthy fish swimming around the peaceful home you made for it.

They can hide or flaunt as much as they want. When tanks are overstocked they can't do that. They have to keep moving either to avoid aggressive tank mates or to attempt to find someplace to hide from all the mayhem for ten seconds. I'm sure if those fish had the fish-equivalent of eye bags, they'd look like me my senior year of high school.

In my favorite kind of tanks, you build trust with the fish. They reveal themselves and come up to the tank because they recognize your face and know that means food and not danger. There's something magical about a such shy animals learning to trust YOU, a giant human many, many times its size.

You don't get that same effect in poorly stocked tanks.”
-Tara Clare
I also saw this post and it made me really happy... It's exactly the way I think when stocking my tanks.... 👍

I also saw this post and it made me really happy... It's exactly the way I think when stocking my tanks.... 👍
Haha are you in the same group? That’s crazy

Don’t know if we’re allowed to say, it’s not a forum tho so may be okay? It was called sir, that’s a cup not a fishtank
Ahhh yes. One of my favourite groups...! (andddd hope we're allowed to say lol... I think we are?)

I doubt it's allowed. I shared a Reddit post once, and it got deleted.
Really? A POST from Reddit was deleted? I always say I think this place is run really well but deleting that seems a bit extreme...

@Fishmanic feel free to delete my post if needed

In my continued nerding through Cory papers, I found a few from tropical fish farms about optimal commercial growing conditions. They are the polar opposite of what we're discussing.
Apparently, the ideal growout for Corydoras aeneus is 3000 fish per square metre. That's for profitability - with 100% minimum water changes per day. If we put 15 bronze Corys in a 75 gallon, they must think they got off at the subway stop of their dreams!

In my continued nerding through Cory papers, I found a few from tropical fish farms about optimal commercial growing conditions. They are the polar opposite of what we're discussing.
Apparently, the ideal growout for Corydoras aeneus is 3000 fish per square metre. That's for profitability - with 100% minimum water changes per day. If we put 15 bronze Corys in a 75 gallon, they must think they got off at the subway stop of their dreams!
Makes sense for fish who live in the thousands in the wild

The beauty of this hobby is there are very few hard and fat rules of single ways of doing things. I have both lightly and heavily stocked tanks. Folks who keep rift lake cichlids traditionally use overstocking to blunt aggression. I spreads it out so no individual is always the victim.

I breed Hypancistrus plecos from the Big bend of Rio Xingo. My first tank was a 30 gal. and it started out with 13 proven breeding adults and 5 of their fry. More fry were expected but they were lost before I could pick u[ the fish. I was extremely lucky and I got my first spawn in about two weeks and then another from a second male two weeks later and they kept it up for months.

Two filter mishaps caused me the find 8 -10 fry inside a H.P.T. Magnum I had plumbed to have the intake at the bottom of one end the the return at the top of the other. The intake part came out of the hose and the fry were able to swim into the filter. I returned the first group to the breeder tank. By the time it happened again I had pulled a dad on wigglers to a grow out tank. So the second filter mishap saw those fry go into that tank which was a 15 gal.

People who would come to visit would look at that breeding tank and then asked why the tank was empty. It was not. It held 13 adults and when I did my first real fry hunt, I removed 53 kids from the tank. So in a 30 gal were a total of 66 plecos. That tank produced 500 fry in the first few years. Since these fish were zebra plecos, every fish lost meant a lot of money down the drain. I do not lose a lot of fish except when I do something dumb. I accidentally put water with bleach in it into a tank holding 23 zebra plecos over 2 inches. I killed them all. I have experimented with putting too many fish into a shipping bag as a test and killed 27 L173s (more expensive than zebras).

I have pretty much done weekly maint. and 50%+ water changes on all my tanks for going on 23 years. Old age has mad it hard to keep up these days and fish are going out to new homes. But almost all my pleco breeding tanks are heavily stocked species tanks. The fish are healthy and they live long lives. The people who end up with the offspring have no complains over time either.

On the other hand I have a well planted 75 gal which contains about 25 fish. The biggest is a full grown albino aeneus cory in my group of them. The rest are paleatus cory, orange fin danios, purple emperor tetras, and a few rummy nose tetras. Because I have not got any non-threatening bigger fish, the little ones might fear, they never school. They just meander around a big tank with lots of plants. :(

edited for typos and spelling

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back