The Anti tankbusters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Both Channa Bleheri and Channa Sp. Assam could be kept as a small group. Pretty much the smallest Snakeheads

Nandus Nandus, Asian Leaffish, Much easier to keep than the south american leaffish.

Pike characins.

Hifin Wolffish

Rainbow Wolffish

Pike top Minnows

What about Gasterosteidae (Sticklebacks)? These guys rule but I've had trouble keeping them. I've only been able to find them in bait minnows (which is biggest problem). I think their closest relative is the pipefish and sea horses. Pretty odd...and small.

Crenicichla compressiceps Dwarf Pike Cicklid. Max. Size 4". Min. Tank size: 20g (preferably 12x12x30").

All the nastiness of their larger cousins, but only attain 4". I'd only recommend a solitary adult for this configuration.

My room mate has one of those in with his red belly Parana tank. The only reason it's still alive is because it's mean as hell but I'm betting it's not going to last anther week or two. The red belly's are getting big and more aggressive. :shifty:

Anyway, in the Aqualog "Brackish Water Fishes" book, probably the most reliable book on the topic, the author goes to great lengths to explain that bumblebee gobies, halfbeaks, and glassfish aren't brackish water fish whatever the hobby may think. I think he over-eggs the pudding a little here... while there's no question that while these fish might not naturally occur in brackish water habitats, they do seem to do well in brackish water aquaria.

Cheers,

Neale

The-Wolf said:
Can someone show me positive proof of a freshwater bumblebee goby AFAIK all brachygobius species are brackish.

Do you think that this could be a case of that they are especially sensitive to nitrate and as salt reduces the toxicity of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate it's an historical artifact from when aquarists believed in the value of old water that the adding of salt increased the success of keeping these species?

Anyway, in the Aqualog "Brackish Water Fishes" book, probably the most reliable book on the topic, the author goes to great lengths to explain that bumblebee gobies, halfbeaks, and glassfish aren't brackish water fish whatever the hobby may think. I think he over-eggs the pudding a little here... while there's no question that while these fish might not naturally occur in brackish water habitats, they do seem to do well in brackish water aquaria.

Cheers,

Neale

The-Wolf said:
Can someone show me positive proof of a freshwater bumblebee goby AFAIK all brachygobius species are brackish.

Do you think that this could be a case of that they are especially sensitive to nitrate and as salt reduces the toxicity of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate it's an historical artifact from when aquarists believed in the value of old water that the adding of salt increased the success of keeping these species?

I think that's a good possibility. paired with the fact those bothering to set up a brackish tank will probably also go the extra mile to find them the right food, I think you're onto something.

Most reactions

trending

Back