That time of the year for

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oldspartan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Tapping maple trees.

Went out this morning and drilled the taps. It was cold but the last few days with above freezing daytime temps I am pretty sure has started the run.

Will hook up the lines after a late breakfast. Will hopefully catch the first 8 to 10 gallons by Friday or Saturday.

I use the first sap draw to make smoked rye beer. Used the last bottles of that during the Super Bowl party.

Labour of love to tap and boil it down. All my extended family that engaged in the craft have had time catch up with them.
How may trees do you tap?

Labour of love to tap and boil it down. All my extended family that engaged in the craft have had time catch up with them.
How may trees do you tap?
This year seven tress, 5 with single taps and two with are double tapped. This is my 39th year of tapping. At one time I tapped about twenty trees but have slowly cut back. Lost my biggest maple last year. Came down in my driveway. Kept a 12-foot log and had it sawed. Thinking about using it for a fish stand.

Tapping maple trees.

Went out this morning and drilled the taps. It was cold but the last few days with above freezing daytime temps I am pretty sure has started the run.

Will hook up the lines after a late breakfast. Will hopefully catch the first 8 to 10 gallons by Friday or Saturday.

I use the first sap draw to make smoked rye beer. Used the last bottles of that during the Super Bowl party.
Hello. From one Old to another. I'd would have loved to try that Smoked Rye beer in my drinking days. Sadly, those days are far behind me. Have gotten too old and the recuperative powers aren't what they used to be.

I do not slurp the beer down in excess. I enjoy making in the spring and fall. Wheat beer with citrus for summer, smoked beer with sap for winter, brown ale and a lite lager made with honey for whenever. Never drink enough to need recovery. As you say to old for that nonsense.

Also make a couple wines and an annual mead. The mead is an 18 to 24 month process from start to belly.

Anyway, the collection lines are in and the two 15 gallon collection barrels are set.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back