FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Ive got a big list of fish id love to have but due to different water parameters and not the right size set up etc i cant get /have.

If there was no limit or reason stopping you not to have the fish you'd love and there was "that one species of fish" in your grasp.....what :fish:would that be????

Really hard one for me but id love some Congo tetra :wub:

Mesonauta festivus. The Flag Cichlid. Followed closely by Aphyosemion sjoestedti , the Blue Gularis killifish.
I second those. The Festivum is a long time favorite. Not seen them in the hobbie in some time. And the Blue Gularis is like a puppy dog, very personable and a joy to own and breed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

I second those. The Festivum is a long time favorite. Not seen them in the hobbie in some time. And the Blue Gularis is like a puppy dog, very personable and a joy to own and breed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
I have seen the Festivum exactly once, personally, in a pet shop. That span of time is over fifty years. Why do some fish appear so sporadically or rarely or not at all ? This is a very pretty and graceful mid sized cichlid that should please anyone.

20190920_121931.jpg 20190920_122004.jpg 20190920_122153.jpg
Looked them up Wow!!!!
Totally see why you'd want these beauties. Colours on the Red texas and the killifish are immense :snap:The festivus reminds of some kind of hybrid Pearl gourami.

Theres me with my little Congo's lol :lol:

image.jpg
No. I know what a Congo Tetra is and they ARE cool. And, again, there's another one you rarely see. So this begs the question. If you really wanted one of these rarely seen fish how would you actually go about acquiring them ? Colin says fish/pet shops get a list and you can look at it and get something on thier next order but I've never heard of that possibility.

Last edited:
I think my LFS does actually offer a service similar to that where you can order more rare species in (within reason anyway).

They also stock Congo tetra but i have hard water where i live so i cant have them :(

I think my LFS does actually offer a service similar to that where you can order more rare species in (within reason anyway).

They also stock Congo tetra but i have hard water where i live so i cant have them :(
Seangee can help you get that hard water issue resolved. Pick his brain on this one and get the Congos. :)

Whooaa. I'm the one always advising people to stick with what works in their tap water.

Course I don't follow my own advice ;). If you are set on soft water fish RO is by far the easiest way, mix it with your tap water in the right ratio to get the desired result. Downside is you always have to have a reserve supply in case you need to do an emergency water change.

Ive seen his converted to RO water on one of the threads a while back.

Maybe in the future i will be able to do just that :)

Whooaa. I'm the one always advising people to stick with what works in their tap water.

Course I don't follow my own advice ;). If you are set on soft water fish RO is by far the easiest way, mix it with your tap water in the right ratio to get the desired result. Downside is you always have to have a reserve supply in case you need to do an emergency water change.
Thanks Seangee,
i think i need a few more years under my belt before trying to alter hard to soft water. Still learning this fish craft :)

image.jpg
1f8a1af5-9981-435c-bd38-d25a1f45ec1f-jpeg.94025
I want a German Blue Ram. My #1 on my list of course is another betta. The Red Devil Crowntail. My next fish purchase. I also like the Mexican Sailfish Molly.

German blue rams are lovely :) i do like the Bolivian rams also tho. Not as colourful but a bit more hardy ive heard.

Think my next fish purchase will be some odessa barbs although my daughters birthday is coming up soon and shes after a tank for her room.

She would love a Betta. Are they soft water fish?

Bettas prefer a PH of 7.4 but can live in PH as high as 8.0. My PH is 7.8 but I manage to keep it at 7.4 with Indian almond leaves, alder cones, and driftwood in tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back