That one species of fish!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettas prefer a PH of 7.9 but can live in PH as high as 8.0. My PH is 7.8 but I manage to keep it at 7.4 with Indian almond leaves, alder cones, and driftwood in tank.
My PH is 7.4 but GH is 14 dgh.

Do you know if thats to hard for Betta's Deanasue?

Do you know if thats to hard for Betta's Deanasue?
That should be fine. I’m not the best at chemistry but I believe they can live in up to 35 dgh.

That should be fine. I’m not the best at chemistry but I believe they can live in up to 35 dgh.
Thats good to know thank you :) she will be pleased to know she could have a Betta.

Ill have to do some research :teacher:

Thats good to know thank you :) she will be pleased to know she could have a Betta.

Ill have to do some research :teacher:
Errrm - they will be ok at 14 dGH although it is not ideal. Don't even think about it at 35dGH, you could walk on that :D

She would love a Betta. Are they soft water fish?
yes.

------------------------
14dGH is 250ppm, which is medium hard water.

Very soft water has a GH between 0-50ppm.
Soft water has a GH between 50-150ppm.
Medium hard water has a GH between 150-250ppm.
Hard water has a GH between 250-350ppm.
Very hard water has a GH above 350ppm.

Bettas do best in water with a GH below 150ppm.
Livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies, swordtails) do great in water with a GH of 250ppm.

You can add distilled water or reverse osmosis (R/O) water to your water if you want to reduce the GH. Use 1 part distilled or R/O to 2 parts tap water. If money is not an option then 1:1 (50% distilled or R/O to 50% tap water).

Last edited:
For me at the moment I have a list of fish I'd love to have but don't have the space for a tank that would suit them. I was wandering around Google the other night and found sites in America selling young Goliath Tiger Fish, if I had a swimming pool then I wouldn't mind one of them even if they slightly terrify me after watching River Monsters.

What about a pool of Alligator Gar? Ha ha!

I wouldn't mind them, they haven't got teeth that look like the fish stole them from a T-Rex. I was very disappointed recently when I went to an aquarium that had a tank which was supposed to have an Alligator gar in and there was no alligator gar, I was almost as disappointed as when I spent a month going to aquariums in two countries because Google told me they had bull sharks only to find out that when Google translate was on that it would translate the Latin names as well and it turns out sand tiger sharks' Latin name is bull shark. I can see sand tigers in England, I was very excited to see an actual bull shark and all I got was a sand tiger.

Largest Alligator Gar caught/netted in the Mississippi River was 327 lbs. Something that large with lots of pointy sharp teeth. No thanks. Ha ha.

I mean I think any fish that grows bigger than I managed may be a bit much as a pet but still a good threat to use on the young cousins when they start misbehaving.

Keep in mind that there are Freshwater and saltwater alligator gar and some can rip your hand off. Some freshwater ones even have a head that looks like a gator.

Last edited:

That's just weird and not right.
This is a Goliath Tiger Fish showing off it's fine set of teeth, not only has it attacked people but they've also been observed attacking and eating small crocodiles in the wild and yet you can buy them as a pet.
ec9xj1shp76z.jpg

If it's teeth you're after, try a payara...
6a9664fe33576d02124baafcae0cc4fb.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back