Thank You Add On

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BigTuna

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a thread in the general discussion forum. A member brought up the question if post counts equals valued advice? It made me think of a board I was a member of for many years. We were a random board, with no central theme. Therefore we had a very wide range of topics. People would ask questions on anything and everything. This being a very large board and centered on you main topic, I think a thank you addon would be even more useful.

For anyone who is unaware, the thank you addon allows members to thank posts that they find useful.

Also we added a board stats section to the bottom of the main page. It showed things like the top 20 posters in count, thanks, and profile views. As well as the most viewed threads, and most posted threads.

Just a couple ideas I thought I'd share.

The 'thank you' or 'thumbs up' feature has been raised before. It was not taken forward but this was before I became a Mod, so I don't know the history/reasons (hopefully one of the other Mods can help here).

Your other proposals sound interesting so I will raise them in the Mod section.

I think the biggest objection people raise is that it has the potential to become a popularity contest or a competition between some members and that's just incredibly irritating.

I have see this happen on other forums with this feature. You got topics saying "No one ever thanks me for my posts, I don't know why I bother :'(" and so on. Again, incredibly irritating.

That said, it might have its uses. *shrug*

Seen it on a few different forums and didn't like it. As someone else already said, it becomes a popularity contest, betta fans will thank another betta fan for something which is in no way helpful at all, same if African cichlid lovers/SA's/CA's/marines/inverts. It makes the forum divided into cliques and doesn't really serve a purpose. If someone wishes to thank someone they can do that by sending a message.

The top posters thing I also have a negative view on, just means people talk more nonsense and post more dribble than usual. It becomes a 'game' of sorts.

May seem like I'm being grumpy, maybe I am but just wanted to add my opinion to the suggestion.

The top posters thing I also have a negative view on, just means people talk more nonsense and post more dribble than usual. It becomes a 'game' of sorts.

this is a fair point - it may not paint the forum in the best light if one of the 'top' threads is the General Rant one :lol:

I think the biggest objection people raise is that it has the potential to become a popularity contest or a competition between some members and that's just incredibly irritating.

^^^this

It seemed to be the general consensus by the public and mods, so it was decided against.

Glad there isn't a most viewed profile one as I'm on an iPad with fumble fingers.
I often visit member profiles without meaning to.
As for the thank you, most popular etc, glad there isn't that feature here either.
Been on too many forums where it becomes a buddy thing, & cliques develop, would hate to see that happen here

I feel bad for bringing up my horrible ideas! :). I love the site the way it is and looking forward to being an active member

Not to my taste at all, as stated it would become a popularity post and that just will not do. Plus it just seems pointless, people are (or should be) thankful of any and all advice we all give each other anyway. Period...

Glad there isn't a most viewed profile one as I'm on an iPad with fumble fingers.
I often visit member profiles without meaning to.
As for the thank you, most popular etc, glad there isn't that feature here either.
Been on too many forums where it becomes a buddy thing, & cliques develop, would hate to see that happen here

And Cazgar, there is a 'most profile views' page.

Overall Top Posters>>>>Advanced Filters>>>>Total Posts(bottom) change to Profile Views

Somehow i'm 24th :S haha. Fair enough

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back