Tetratec 1200 Making Noises

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mylittlepiranha

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Brand new newbie here :blink:

My tetratec 1200 which has been going for a while has started to make quite a loud vibrating/humming noise - only since I took it apart to clean, and also cleaned the gunk out of the impeller, put it back together properly & it looks in perfect condition. It was fine before that :unsure:

I've re-taken the whole thing apart & put it all back together several times, and turned on & turned off the power a zillion times (as recommended in the manual) but still just as noisy. As well as bugging me, I'm worried it will cause extra vibration that will stress the fish (it's in the cabinet under the tank - Juwel 260 with dedicated unit).

I've had it about a year, when I got it second hand along with the complete tank setup, so don't have a warranty :unsure:

I've just followed the remote diagnostics on Tetra's website and that says I need a new motor unit. They want 100 Euros for that (although I can get a complete new filter on ebay for GBP80!). Either way though, it's a lot of money :angry: so I'm hoping someone will have some other suggestion that will be cheaper - even if it's only "live with the noise, it won't bother the fish" LOL

I'm certainly no expert in fishy stuff (most of what I know I've got from books) so any advice gratefully received :rolleyes:

Thanks
Jen

If it's making loads of noise the chances are something may go dramatically wrong with it pretty soon.

If you phone this number (UK), 08700554031 (normal office hours), should get you through to rupert bridges, tell him your filter is playing up and ask for the service centre number in germany. Phone up the service centre, and they may replace the part without charge.

I had some issues with mine about a month(ish) ago, and I did as I said above, and I must say, they have the best customer service i've ever encountered!!! They should sort your problems out.

no no no, it will be air trapped inside the filter. rock it from side to side to let the air out.

no no no, it will be air trapped inside the filter. rock it from side to side to let the air out.
Thanks, but already did that loads too :blink: - and it's not a trapped air noise, it's definitely something the impeller/motor is doing

There was a batch with dodgy motor units sent out early on in the life of Tetra's external filters. I don't suppose (roughtly) when it was made do you?

Any chance of photos of the impeller, bearings, ceramic shaft and the impeller well is there?

Do you get any air bubbles comming out the outlet pipe during this noise?

All the best
Rabbut

I had problems with my tetratec ex700 a few months ago, when i read the manual it said it came with a three year guarantee. Dont suppose you know when it was orginally sold ???? I went onto their website and logged a call and within 2 days they rang me, asked what the problem was and sent me a new motorhead free of charge...........i dont think they even asked how old it was !

I had problems with my tetratec ex700 a few months ago, when i read the manual it said it came with a three year guarantee. Dont suppose you know when it was orginally sold ???? I went onto their website and logged a call and within 2 days they rang me, asked what the problem was and sent me a new motorhead free of charge...........i dont think they even asked how old it was !

They were like that with my ex1200 motorhead, sent a new one out free of charge, and didn't even ask when it was made.

If you phone this number (UK), 08700554031 (normal office hours), should get you through to rupert bridges, tell him your filter is playing up and ask for the service centre number in germany. Phone up the service centre, and they may replace the part without charge.

I had some issues with mine about a month(ish) ago, and I did as I said above, and I must say, they have the best customer service i've ever encountered!!! They should sort your problems out.

Thanks so much! Just phoned this guy. He gave me this direct number in Austria 0080076688766 (it's a freephone even from the UK and they all speak English :drool: ). Called them up, said I had a problem with my EX1200, they didn't even aske what the problem was let alone any other questions - just asked for my name address & phone & are sending me a *complete* new filter FOC!!!!!
:hyper: :hyper:

Great stuff. They are really good when it comes to the after sales. Good to hear you've had the same service as I got. Kudos to tetra!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back