Tetras for a new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After finding out that neon tetras and others are not great for a newly established tank, I'm wondering what the best tetras are for a newly cycled tank that are also easy enough for a beginner to look after and that would be compatible with cherry barbs.

Last edited:
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

How long has the tank been set up for?

Has the filter been cycled?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

How long has the tank been set up for?

Has the filter been cycled?

125 litre tank

pH 6.8

Tank is almost finished cycling and will be done this week

Also wanting to make sure that it will be a tetra species compatible with cherry barbs as I plan to add them in first.

After finding out that neon tetras and others are not great for a newly established tank, I'm wondering what the best tetras are for a newly cycled tank that are also easy enough for a beginner to look after and that would be compatible with cherry barbs.

Some Tetras can be very sensitive to water changes so the below list is a good guide of hardy fish to put in a newly cycled tank. Its more important to get the tank stable that hit your wish list of fish straight away .

Good First Fish
Hope this helps!

Some Tetras can be very sensitive to water changes so the below list is a good guide of hardy fish to put in a newly cycled tank. Its more important to get the tank stable that hit your wish list of fish straight away .

Good First Fish
Hope this helps!

Really appreciate that list! Some nice looking fish on there. So you think I shouldn't get tetras at all during the first few weeks of my tank being up and running after its cycled?

I quite like the sound of ruby barbs, would a group of those still give me room for zebra danios and small Cory's in a 125 litre tank

The idea behind fishless cycling is that you have grown more than enough bacteria to remove all the ammonia and nitrite from a sensibly stocked tank of fish. But cycling does not grow all the other micro-organisms that a mature tank has. A mature tank is generally considered to be one that has been running trouble free for at least 6 months, by which time all the other micro-organisms have grown.
Some species of fish do better in a mature tank, so these should be left for a few months. Neon tetras spring to mind here - they used to be hardy fish and you'll still see them recommended as such but intensive breeding has made them more sensitive.

Cories need sand - do you have that?

The best website for researching a species is Seriously Fish https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This one is written by experts; other sites are written by people with less knowledge. Make note of the hardness the fish need; the tank size they need and make sure all the fish you choose have the same temperature range.

(Most rainbowfish need hard water so research before buying to make sure you don't get any hard water species)

Really appreciate that list! Some nice looking fish on there. So you think I shouldn't get tetras at all during the first few weeks of my tank being up and running after its cycled?
If you are doing a fishless cycle as described here you will be good to go. The system is designed to get your tank to the position where it can support fish, even sensitive ones. @essjay's post just arrived so I won't repeat what she said. If neon tetras take your fancy consider cardinal tetras instead, and a decent sized group. Tetras are social fish and you are better off with larger groups and less variety.

The idea behind fishless cycling is that you have grown more than enough bacteria to remove all the ammonia and nitrite from a sensibly stocked tank of fish. But cycling does not grow all the other micro-organisms that a mature tank has. A mature tank is generally considered to be one that has been running trouble free for at least 6 months, by which time all the other micro-organisms have grown.
Some species of fish do better in a mature tank, so these should be left for a few months. Neon tetras spring to mind here - they used to be hardy fish and you'll still see them recommended as such but intensive breeding has made them more sensitive.

Cories need sand - do you have that?

The best website for researching a species is Seriously Fish https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This one is written by experts; other sites are written by people with less knowledge. Make note of the hardness the fish need; the tank size they need and make sure all the fish you choose have the same temperature range.

(Most rainbowfish need hard water so research before buying to make sure you don't get any hard water species)

I bought sand right at the start with the catfish in mind.

That's the best attitude to take with shop advice :)

Oh trust me, after being advised that I could have 3 discus fish in a 125 litre tank when I've never kept fish before I won't be going back there. I managed to find a better LFS that's a slightly longer drive but give better advice and with a much larger selection of fish.

Most reactions

Back