Tetras for a new tank

:oops: I agree, that place is best avoided.

Indeed, would a group of 7 or 8 ruby barbs or golden barbs be okay in a 125 litre tank with some small danios and a few small Cory's? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about rosy barbs compared to cherry or tiger barbs. Just want to make sure I don't overstock my tank or end up with a full tank after only putting 1 species in there.

Last edited:
would a group of 7 or 8 ruby barbs be okay in a 125 litre tank.........There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about rosy barbs compared to cherry or tiger barbs.
Do you mean ruby or rosy barbs?

Ruby barb

Rosy barb

I know other members have some of one or other of these barbs so they will be able to advise.

Do you mean ruby or rosy barbs?

Ruby barb

Rosy barb

I know other members have some of one or other of these barbs so they will be able to advise.

I'm talking about the ruby barbs, I'll probably stick with the cherry's but just wondering if I'd have more options for my tank.

Looking at those profiles, rosy barbs need a tank at least 100 cm long though ruby barbs are OK in 80 cm. Most 125 litre tanks in the UK are around 80 cm long.

I think if it was me I’d pick a few fish that were very robust whilst everything settled down.

When its all up and running then add whatever you had on your list

Some Tetras can be very sensitive to water changes so the below list is a good guide of hardy fish to put in a newly cycled tank. Its more important to get the tank stable that hit your wish list of fish straight away .

Good First Fish
Hope this helps!

What about 5 banded barbs?

Five band barbs, like cherry barbs, are at the most peaceful end of the barb behaviour spectrum. They are just about the same size as cherry barbs, need the same temp and both are good for soft water. And minimum tank size is 80 cm long.
Seriously Fish does say that the fish sold as 5 band barbs are actually 6 bands. Like other fish, they are mis-labelled.

The shop I'm going to stocks both cherry's and 5 bands, they both sound similar so it's just a question of which is hardier. I'll add the barbs first, followed by some sterbai Cory's 2 weeks later and then one of the more hardy groups of tetras such as Lemon tetras last.

I'd say the two barbs were equally hardy, I would go with which colour your prefer - orange or red.

I'd say the two barbs were equally hardy, I would go with which colour your prefer - orange or red.

I'll be going for the 5 bands then, I like how they've got a look of the tiger barbs about them but are smaller and less nippy.

Most reactions

Back