Tetraodon schoutedeni - Spotted Congo Puffer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Now that I have two I have been reading up a lot on them. I've found the general consensus is that they don't have a problem with any tank mate in general, well except inverts which are food.

"If one enjoys their swimming style, body shape, and curiosity, but
wants tank mates, then go for the Tetradoan S....... (darn!, I can't remember
the name, it is like Sartogous or some such. It is a totally fresh water
type which enjoys all tank mates *EXCEPT* other puffers; if you really want
the name, mail me and I'll look it up for you). "

Quoted from:
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/puffer.html

Out of over 30 sites I have searched close to 85% say this same basic thing that they are a fairly docile puffer except in relation to other puffers. Although mine seem to get along. Actually carousing the same side of the tank together and not being agressive. :dunno:

Quote from "The Puffers of Fresh and Brackish Waters" by Dr. Klaus Ebert.

This freshwater puffer is an attractive, not very large, and relatively peaceful species. It is true that intraspecific aggression exists, but it is not particularly serious. It does, however, have the relatively common bad habit of trying to move plants around (a tendenct sometimes also seen in other puffer species). Moreover for some reason it likes to bite holes in the leaves of aquatic plants. The pieces of plant are not eaten but spat out again. On the credit side the problem of biting the fins of other fishes is rarely seen in this species.

Looks like it should be no trouble finding tankmates for this species of puffer.

Well, I'm thinking of Bio-toping the tank for them. That will be my next topic. ;)

Well, I'm thinking of Bio-toping the tank for them. That will be my next topic. ;)

Hi i am trying to find one of these guys to buy and was wondering if anyone knew where i might find one as at the moment im really struggling!
Thanks

Hi i am trying to find one of these guys to buy and was wondering if anyone knew where i might find one as at the moment im really struggling!
Thanks

You won't, is the answer. They're all imported as wild caught, and currently none are being imported because where they are from (the congo) there is civil unrest, making it impossible to export them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back