Tetra Safe Start And Cycling My New Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I've been reading about tap water parameters in my area out of curiousity and it turns out that 4 years ago it was infested with Cryptosporidium protozoan. Not sure how it affects fish, but imagine this would have gone into my tank :crazy:

Lol! The common plec will certainly provide enough ammonia to keep the filter going. Lol. I have never had much look with guppies.

In theory it should be able to handle all the 15 guppies or the plec and a few guppies. If you're going to be around to monitor the levels I'd put a fairly heavy load in straight away, that is the point of fishless cycling after all.

I think I'll take your advice guys and probably start with a few of the uglier male guppies and the pleco in a few days.
Sorry for asking again, but when is it ok to turn the UV light back on? Should I run it for a while before adding fish to kill any nasty stuff or is there a chance it will kill by bacteria pets? I've never used one before so I have no idea how this works.

There shouldn't be anything nasty in there for the UV light to kill yet, but equally it'll do no harm putting it on. But leave it till just before you add the fish.

Alright.Thanks. I'll wait till I get the water changer anyway,hopefully some time next week.

Yesterday the dream man took me away early so I only tested this morning and hadn't even redosed ammonia.
It's been 32-33 hours since the last dose. The cat broke my third test tube :grr:

I didn't test the ammonia, but I am sure it was 0. NitrIte is obviously 0 after such a long period. Tested the nitrAtes and they are around 40ppm. Updated the pictures and redosed to 2ppm ammonia.

Tested the water out of curiosity and 4 hours after dosing 2ppm ammonia the results are 1ppm ammonia and 1ppm nitrIte. Updated with pictures on page1.

I noticed some nasty stuff growing on my driftwood. I will open a new topic for it. But here is a pic:

p2050926.jpg

That's a link to the new thread if anyone knows anything about it:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/386334-white-algaefungus-what-is-it/

Read this thread snazy: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/386317-what-is-this/

My partner tested the water and redosed to 2ppm(7ml) ammonia at around 12.50PM today
Ammonia and nitrite-0.
I will start testing at shorter periods when I can.

I think it will be the pleco and a few of the male guppies for a while to see how they get on. Hope that white stuff on the wood is not dangerous, but I will find out soon I guess. The wood type is the same and from the same shop(liquidation) I got the one for my other tanks, so hopefully it is not something that leeks out causing the fungi looking white fluff. There is none of the fluff on the wood at the places where I planted the java moss though. It seems the java moss has outcompeted for the space :lol:

How many guppies on top of the pleco do you think? I will go to collect the water changer from the post today, so I will be able to do fast water changes if anything happens?

Edit: Getting a bit impatient now :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back