Tetra Safe Start And Cycling My New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The corys have already spawned :hyper:
I saw about 10 eggs on the filter powerhead just now. Wondering whether to move them in a net or leave them there ;)

First of all, the readings are spot on. There is no ammonia or nitrItes yet, so a pleco and 6 corys must be producing way less than 2ppm ammonia a day.

And I woke up to even more eggs. Some of them are white, some look viable as they've gone brown. I haven't yet been able to even pass the stage of the eggs hatching the previous times the corys spawned. I don't have a spare tank now. Any ideas where to move the eggs? Has anyone got surviving corys in a tank with the parents? Even if they hatch, they can get sucked up by the intake tube. Here are a few pictures:

p2110920.jpg

p2110921.jpg

I moved the eggs I could reach into a breeder net and put it next to the powerhead for circulation. Let's hope this attempt results in a few baby corys, unlike previous times. Most of the eggs are beige/brownish yellow and there doesn't seem to be any fungus on them so far. I just can't wait!

The powerhead has them blown in one corner of the net. I hope I didn't damage the eggs, but here is a picture:

p2120925.jpg

The eggs have disappeared from the net and I never saw any baby corys :sad:
Where did they go? :grr:

The eggs have disappeared from the net and I never saw any baby corys :sad:
Where did they go? :grr:

If they've hatched out they'd easily fit through the holes in the net and would be hiding in the tank somewhere now.

I am guessing that their chances of survival are little now with lack of baby food and filter intake tubes and adult corys and a pleco?

I think their chances are slim but fish are surprisingly good at surviving sometimes. Food probably wouldn't be an issue as they'd just graze off the algae and other bits and pieces amongst the mulm. I'd check your filter though as some may have survived.

Better luck next time mate but you never know, a few might pop up at some time and surprise you. Next time make sure you put them in a fine net. :/

Did you check inside your filter? The sponge may have saved a few.

Sorry to hear about your eggs. Maybe next time you could line the breeder net with something? I found some really cheap touille {?? is the the word?} lol on sale in fabrics and it works great...I even siliconed a square around the inlet on my filter in my fry tank so I can just let my fish have the fry in the tank with no worries.

I really hope you find some babies...baby cories sound great!

I checked the hood filter, but I couldn't see anything there. I haven't checked the external though.
The first few times the corys spawned, I put the eggs in a plastic breeder box but they kept getting fungus.
This time they didn't but still no babies.
I have no idea how small the babies are supposed to be but based on the size of the holes in the net they must be really small.

I had no time for anything recently, but yesterday I finally transferred most of the male guppies(over 10) to the big tank.
They were very funny going around in a group exploring it. It must have been a bit of a shock to be moved from a 7 gallon to a 90 gallon tank. Lucky guppies :lol:
The corys spawned twice since, but smaller ammount of eggs. One of my newest ones that I thought was a male turned out to be a female and had her few first eggs too. They seem to love to do the T position lying on the stone covered in java moss. I only saved about 5 eggs :grr: and they are well wrapped in a plastic breeder covered in a net positioned under the powerhead. So hopefully no escapees this time or fungus. I just looked at them and they look brown :ninja:

The tank is gowing great and stays clean although I had no time 2 weeks to change the water. There were barely any nitrAtes too, so the plants are doing their job as well. I tested the water now to check if the guppies have disturbed the balance but there is no ammonia/nitrItes so far.

Better luck with this one I hope. My cories spawned for the first time today. I don't think she fetilized them as they are an offwhite rather than beige...i have them in a net with a bubbler for circulation.

I hope you have some babies this time!!

:good: I want spawning cories so bad! How big are yours. I think mine are all babies still. It doesn't help that my tap has ammonia..so a colder water change just stresses everyone out. :( I'm moving my platies to my 75g next week...should be fun then :) Your guppies sounded cute. Goodluck with the eggs? I'll cross my fingers and look for updates!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back