Tetra Safe Start And Cycling My New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My corys aren't very old at all, not full grown size yet so the spawns are small. I haven't done any water changes with colder water, in fact they spawned 3 times the last time with no water change during this period.

My opinion is that they love a lot of water flow to lay the eggs and if they don't find such a spot they won't lay eggs. I am yet to see eggs in the part of the tanks where the current is very low. My guess is yours may have spawned but the eggs may have got eaten pretty quick, in minutes or hours, if you have other fish in the tank. And the corys don't like overcrowded tanks too.
And the ammonia in the tap is a downside. They'll wait until water conditions are fine.
I used to keep mine in the 30G tank I have and although they spawned, they stopped for a period of time when I had ammonia for a day twice in the space of a month due to me washing one of the sponges of one of the filters. Whatever it is about this particular sponge, it seems that all the bacteria loves it and a brief shake in tank water causes a spike in the whole tank although there are another 2 sponges in the same filter and a second Fluval U4 in the tank. I gave up touching this sponge and it's falling appart :grr: The corys don't tolerate ammonia well at all. If you ever see them looking stunned/hiding and staying at one spot for longer periods of time then they are more than likely not happy for one reason or another.

And here is a short video of the guppies. They were a bit scared of the pleco yesterday :lol:
The white box are the well wrapped up cory eggs. They can't escape dead or alive :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCY5DluzkuE&feature=youtu.be

I decided to take a few close up pictures of the cat staring at the tank and I think I disturbed him :fun: No one likes to be interrupted when watching their favourite show :lol:

p2260983.jpg

p2260995.jpg

p2260993.jpg

p2260996.jpg

Camera attack!!
p2260994.jpg

I have to admit he is not the most beautiful cat I've seen :lol: but I love him

Just looked at the cory eggs and I had to take out 2 due to fungus. I am left with 3 eggs. Chances are I won't see a cory baby this time either :grr:
I think I wrapped them up too much this time

Just looked at the cory eggs and I had to take out 2 due to fungus. I am left with 3 eggs. Chances are I won't see a cory baby this time either :grr:

You need to add methylene blue to stop fungus.

You need to add methylene blue to stop fungus.

Just looked and I can only see one viable and one egg with fungus. The third egg is misteriously gone but I had the box surface under water so if a cory was born it probably went to waste again. Hopefully one cory will emerge at least from the last viable egg. I am desperate ah.. :lol:

Edit: There was a slight ammonia reading of below 0.25 all day yesterday due to the large addition of fish at once but thankfully it's all gone today to 0 on it's since this morning. One of my corys is still a bit depressed in the corner of the tank. Corys are real ammonia radars. They get less active with minimal water issues :/

I have one cory wiggling in the breeder box!!!! :hyper:
OMG!! It is tiny, no wonder the previos batch disappeared from the net breeder. These would be impossible to see on the white sand I have if any survived.
What do I do now to pass the survival stage? Should I feed it? I have hikari baby powder and tetra baby food.

My cories are the same, My water changes bring in ammonia, even with Prime they sulk half the day away :( Doubt I'll get any breeding form them. Oh! One little wiggler. Good luck with it!!

The little wiggler is still alive this morning. The poor lonely thing. Hope he survives.

And a little video of him. Watch to the right of the breeder box for a moving white spec :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWlOfU36DpI&feature=youtu.be

The corys spawned again. I just saved whatever was left from the guppy feasting on them. One of the guppies even jumped into the net while I was moving the eggs :grr:

I have the eggs in the net for catching fish. I think it is a finer one and the babies if any can't escape.

p2280998.jpg

The little wiggler is still alive.
And guess what. Last night I turned on the ligth to check on him and I saw another tiny cory trying to race the front glass of tank. By the time I got the net to try to save it, it disapperead. :sad:

I have to keep an eye as with that sand it is impossible to see the albino babies. Even the one in the breeder box takes me a good few minutes to spot on the white sand.

Also, the guppies are absolutely confused in a tank this size where the food comes from and don't bunch up when I feed them which is actually a relieve as they were such beggers in the small tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back