Tetra missing eye???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tuckerman821

Reaction score
Hello, I have a tank with 10 neon tetras in it, and noticed one of them floating upside down. It is still alive but when I moved it to a quarantine bowl, I noticed it’s left eye is missing. I did do a water change, but is this common in neon tetras?!?

Update, the fish has been out for about 20 mins now and is swimming completely normal. How long should I quarantine him from other fish?

Update, the fish has been out for about 20 mins now and is swimming completely normal. How long should I quarantine him from other fish?
I would say until you see it start to heal, when the flesh is no longer raw. Someone else might have a better answer, though. I only ever had a pygmy corycat with a poked out eye, and he lived for another year before ich took out most of my tank.

I would say until you see it start to heal, when the flesh is no longer raw. Someone else might have a better answer, though. I only ever had a pygmy corycat with a poked out eye, and he lived for another year before ich took out most of my tank.
Okay, thank you ?

Let it rest overnight and de-stress. If it looks alright in morning, you can put it back. Rummy nose don’t normally harm each other in this fashion so I would look around the tank and see what it could have possible hurt itself on.

Last edited:
Definitely leave it to rest. I've had a neon with a poked out eye before. That being said it was dead so it may have been pecked out by another fish. @CassCats has experience with neon tetras being quite aggressive with one another so it may have been because of that.

I had a glo tetra lose an eye a few weeks ago. He’s fine. He swims weird at times. Like almost becomes disoriented. And if he gets caught in the bubbles from air stone he goes round and round to the top. Everyday I think it’s his last day but he’s a fighter. The eye healed. He eats. He swims in his own new way. So I let him be.

Let it rest overnight and de-stress. If it looks alright in morning, you can put it back. Rummy nose don’t normally harm each other in this fashion so I would look around the tank and see what it could have possible hurt itself on.
It's a neon... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back