Tetra easy crystal 300 Filter overflowing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yes tetra line starter kit, really didnt research it enough or shop around, was kind of an impulse buy with my kids
Understood...those kits, more often than not, feature sub-par components (filters, lighting, hoods/covers, etc)

If you ever consider replacing the filter, check out the AquaClears, nice little filters, simple design, easy to operate, reliable

Which size tank do you have? The lids in those tanks would need serious carving up to fit a HOB filter on there but you could always get a different internal filter.
If you do want to change the filter, Eheim Aquaball or one of the Fluval U range are good filters.
Its a 54 litre, I've seen Fluval products getting good reviews. Not heard of Eheim until now, I'll check them out on the weekend thanks

I had an Aquaball in a 54 litre tank, these filters use just sponge as the medium. You would need to 'persuade' as much old media as possible to fit into any new filter so preserve the bacteria colonies.

Understood...those kits, more often than not, feature sub-par components (filters, lighting, hoods/covers, etc)

If you ever consider replacing the filter, check out the AquaClears, nice little filters, simple design, easy to operate, reliable
Yeah I'm seeing this unfold as we speak, think I dived in way too quick and bought it, lesson learned though.!

Yeah I'm seeing this unfold as we speak, think I dived in way too quick and bought it, lesson learned though.
I had an Aquaball in a 54 litre tank, these filters use just sponge as the medium. You would need to 'persuade' as much old media as possible to fit into any new filter so preserve the bacteria colonies.
So alternatively what are those air sponge filters like in comparison to these hob cartridge type filters.?

I know aquaball isnt sponge one btw just curious

I've never used a HOB filter. When I first started keeping fish in the mid 1990s they were not at all common in the UK. Having always has internals, that's what I've stayed with. I couldn't use a HOB on my current main tank as it has glass bracers on all four sides (they are 2 inch wide strips of glass siliconed to the tank walls just below the top of the tank)

I have used sponge filters driven by an air pump on a small (25 litre) betta tank and it worked very well. These are particularly good for fish which need slow flowing water and for tanks with fish fry as the fry can't be sucked up by this type of filter.

I've never used a HOB filter. When I first started keeping fish in the mid 1990s they were not at all common in the UK. Having always has internals, that's what I've stayed with. I couldn't use a HOB on my current main tank as it has glass bracers on all four sides (they are 2 inch wide strips of glass siliconed to the tank walls just below the top of the tank)

I have used sponge filters driven by an air pump on a small (25 litre) betta tank and it worked very well. These are particularly good for fish which need slow flowing water and for tanks with fish fry as the fry can't be sucked up by this type of filter.
I have a twin air pump so could go the sponge filter route, from what I've read they seem way less problematic and easier to maintain/clean etc.
Is that the case in your experience?

Yes they are easy to maintain. The most difficult part is finding a quiet air pump :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back