Testing Your Test Kit?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aqua Tom

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I tested my tank water today & got double zeros as expected. I then got to thinking that its been along time since I had any ammonia readings so how do I know the test kit is still working.

I then made up a Ammonia solution in a glass & tested that, it showed off the scale so my kit still works.

Am I the only one that has ever done this? Or am I a bit obsesive?

Tom

I tested mine against normal tap water as a baseline, but generally these tests are pretty reliable.

I tested my tank water today & got double zeros as expected. I then got to thinking that its been along time since I had any ammonia readings so how do I know the test kit is still working.

I then made up a Ammonia solution in a glass & tested that, it showed off the scale so my kit still works.

Tom

ahhhh, so what you want to do perform a verification. This is part of the calibration process..

I'd buy a new kit.. that's what I would do.. actually I would do what I has done and buy a few hundred dollars worth of adjustable/calibratable probes, and data loggers, get them calibrated to get real number.. then you'd know..

I use Signet Probes ( I heard that brand is popular in europe) and Honeywell data loggers.. i went with the ten channel data logger.

You'll probably end up paying as much for the calibrations as you will for the equipment, but it's worth it..

Tom

ahhhh, so what you want to do perform a verification. This is part of the calibration process..

I'd buy a new kit.. that's what I would do.. actually I would do what I has done and buy a few hundred dollars worth of adjustable/calibratable probes, and data loggers, get them calibrated to get real number.. then you'd know..

I use Signet Probes ( I heard that brand is popular in europe) and Honeywell data loggers.. i went with the ten channel data logger.

You'll probably end up paying as much for the calibrations as you will for the equipment, but it's worth it..

:hyper:

Or I will just do what I did in the OP.

:good:

Stop destroying my belief system! :lol: If test kits can't be relied upon then my whole world breaks down.

i hope you didnt test for ammonia by peeing in one of the tubes...

[/quote]

[/quote]
...., wo. I'll just say that,wo.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back