Testing Strips vs Water Testing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Astronomiii

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In my experience of setting up fish tanks, I have always been confused on which test to trust. Strips or the water test (Master API Test Kit). The first time this happened I didn't think much, I put in the strip and it read the PH was 7.5, however the Master API testing kit measure that it was 8.3, I didn't think much until I set up a new tank, however this time the strip read 0.3 nitrate ppm while the Master API testing kit read 0. Would love opinions on this

I think they both have their limitations; I look at testing water as getting an indication rather than an actual number as they are both inaccurate. So, I use test strips fast and easy and gives me an idea what is happening.

Hi everyone,

In my experience of setting up fish tanks, I have always been confused on which test to trust. Strips or the water test (Master API Test Kit). The first time this happened I didn't think much, I put in the strip and it read the PH was 7.5, however the Master API testing kit measure that it was 8.3, I didn't think much until I set up a new tank, however this time the strip read 0.3 nitrate ppm while the Master API testing kit read 0. Would love opinions on this
Both are difficult to decipher because everyone sees color differently. Digital testers are the most accurate method, but they are expensive. (Good ones are around $50 per parameter)

The mantra that the liquid kits are better than the strips has been repeated so many times it's sometimes taken as fact, but when I have tested side by side, the results have been very close. The price isn't though, and strips will cost more longterm. I've needed to test water in nature and didn't have all the proper equipment. I made do with strips for convenience, and did a few tests beforehand to make sure that wasn't a mistake.

The strips can be carefully cut in half lengthwise to make them last.

Liquid tests should be read in bright daylight against a white background. Be careful to time it accurately, otherwise you get a skewed result, especially with nitrate. The API nitrate test reagent bottle needs shaking for a good 2 minutes before use.

Use whatever you have but if you are finding disparities it is best to stick with one type of test until you run out. That way you will easily spot changes in the tank.

Pretty simple: Liquid tests tend to be more accurate, but strips are much easier to use so you'll probably use them more often. With a newer tank, I use liquid tests at least once a week. With an established, stable setup, I'll use strips most of the time just to quickly check for problems, and liquid tests less frequently to make sure the strips are giving me good readings.

That said, I've never found any pH test, liquid or strip, that's possible for me to read accurately.

Okay, DO NOT order these and and rely on these. I made that mistake and they did not reflect the ammonia correctly. It was actually much worse. See my posts under "I think my cycle is stuck". I thought the dips would be easier, but it only caused a lot of headache a loss of time cycling a new aquarium and a lot of well water changes to get to 0 ppm.

Attachments

• Ammonia strips.jpg
    Ammonia strips.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 15
  • ammonia test.jpg
    ammonia test.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 15
  • API Test.jpg
    API Test.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 18

Most reactions

trending