Testing For Phosphates

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Reaction score
is it as simple as just buying a test kit for phosphates? i ask because i cant seem to find one

Salifert do an ok one, but the D+D is the best one, but also the most expensive.

thanks , are there different ones for fresh and salt water or are they universal?

greast , thanks very much . im using a process of elimination to resolve a tank problem ( persistant diatoms everywhere in a mature tank) i have eliminated stocking,filtration,waterchasnge regime, uneaten food , circulation . whjich leaves possible causes as too long a lighting period ( ive now reduced this to 5 hours) or possible high phosphate levels in my tap water . so i want to test for phosphates and see if its that which i need to address.

Phosphate wont be the cause of Diatoms, it'll be ammonia, how long has the tank been set up? What sort of light is over the tank?

its the same tank ive had running for 3 years . ammonia/nitrites are zero nitrates 20 if it was a new tank id just wait it out and know it would go away but its a fully matured tank . hence after eliminating iother issues i wanted to eliminate possible phosphates

arcadia original tropical 2x 38w tubes t8 . ive bought a timer for the lights and have reduced lighting period friom 8 to 5 hours .

Standbysetting is right, diatoms and algae problems are ammonia, lighting and flow problems. When we say ammonia, it will be tiny traces that your hobby test kit wont pick up but will be enough to cause algae.
Try to increase your flow as well as cut down the lighting.

Go for 10x your water volume.
For example, a 260 litre tank needs 2600 litres per hour flow rate.
Minus your filters flow rate, so if your filter is 1000lph, you would need to add a powerhead or water mover thats 1600lph which = a total of 2600lph

just done a quick calculation and from the 2 2217s and the powerhead i rekon ive got 6x turnover . perhaps another small powerhead would be beneficial; too

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back