Tester Kit Resulta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

papalzru

Reaction score
Hi, I`m new and have joined because I`m a bit worried about my topical fish tank.

My tank is a Cayman 80 PR and is 150ltrs.

I have around 25-30 fish.

I do regular water changes and as a noob I do my best to keep it running good. when it comes to the science I am completely baffled by it and reading through some of the threads on here my head is now ready to explode, I really am that confused by it all.

My tank is rather cloudy and I`m trying to find out why. I have bought a strip tester kit. Could someone explain my results to me and whether they are good or bad? Also tips on how to remove the cloudyness would be great.

heres my results

PH: 6.4
KH mg/l : 50
GH mg/l : 250
N03 : 500
N02: 0.5

NH3/NH4+ : 0

thankyou for any help and advice

your nitrates (no3)are high and s your nitrites (no2) are a little high as well, what type of filter do you have? how long has the tank been set up, what colour is the cloudyness

I have a fluval 3plus, but it was second hand when I bought it, so I`m wondering whether I should replace it. The tank has been set up for about 4 months.

Its hard to describe, its a sort of yellowy foggy colour.

thanks alot for your reply, I really appreciate it.

On the face of it, Mike is about right on the results, but you said that these are the strip tests. These are notoriously inaccurate, and I would be hugely surprised if you'd built up 500mg/l of nitrate in 4 months, even if you'd never changed any water whatsoever.

It'd be a good idea to buy a set of liquid test kits. I use Salifert, and have previously used Nutrafin. Others swear by the API, although both the ammonia and nitrate tests in the API can be a bit temperamental.

it could be eaither an algae bloom, or something stirred up the substrate, try blacking out the tank for afew days and see if it clears up, your nitrates are skyhigh so you want to do a few large water changes to bring them back down

I have been adding algae pellets for my bottom feeders, could that be the cause?

Also what percentage of water and how often should I be changing to get it right?

thanks

no that wouldent be the cause, its more likely your photo periods to long, or to powerful lights mixed with high nitrates.

50% a week is normally advised if the tanks been cycled

Hi, What is "Photo Periods" and what bulbs should I have. At the momment I have 2 x Interpet community daylight 24" (51341). I cant see the wattage stated anywhere but from googling I think they must be 18watt. These came with the tank when i bought it off someone. Are these no good or are they right?

I`ll start doing 50% changes every week,

thanks

'Photo period' is how long your tank has it's lights on for.

Between 6 and 8 hours is the usual recommended time for having lights on in a planted tank.

Oh right, I have my lights on a lot longer than that. from about 7am to about 11pm.

Seems a bit strange that I`d turn off my tank lights in the middle of the day.

Yes, it does seem odd!

What type of pads should i have in my filter? ive only ever used normal ones, should I have carbon?

thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back