Terry Pratchett Fans Untie!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pica_nuttalli

don't be a twit
Reaction score
All you TP fans out there, sign in and list your favorite(s)! :nod:

I'm a Terry Pratchett fan and I love Hogfather, Interesting Times, and Pyramids.

--EDIT--
oi! who fiddled with my title?! there's no need for us to "unite" just yet; we're taking over the world from the inside. ;)

I agree with andy, Death is the best character. Although, I don't really like him in the first few books... Favourite books, um, Hogfather, The Last Hero (the pictures are fantastic), A Hat Full of Sky...

Huge fan here, all the books... ((sad really)) Ma favourite books are the death ones and some of the watch ones with Vimes... they're good.

Favourtie books... The Fifth Elephant, Reaper Man.. etc...

A big fan here. Favorites are any of those with death in.
That's every single Discworld book then. Without exception.

My Favourites are Lords & Ladies, Mort, Reaper man, Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Monstrous regiment and currently Thud.

I love death too definately the best character but close second is Granny Weatherwax! I aspire to that when I am an old hag!!!

Anything with the witches, or Rincewind or Vimes and the watch.

But probably my favourite would be Hogfather was the first one I read!

Still collecting but gettting there have to have a break from reading them sometimes or I would never move off my couch!

xox

sad i know but i actually like wee free men. and all the granny weatherwax books!!

I actually met Terry Pratchett once and he signed loads of my books, very interesting man- he actually lives in my old home town, just outside of Salisbury. An interesting fact is that he based most of the towns in his books on life in salisbury and his experiences with the town, if you were ever brought up there you'll notice alot of similaritys in his books. I have a lot of Terry Pratchett Discworld books although its been a while since i last got to reading them, i think i was last on "Men At Arms"- i really love all the books i have read so far though, too difficult to pick a top favorite out of them :lol: !

Theres no such thng as a best Discworld book. Theyre all awesome!

However, to choose one out of all, it would have to be Men At Arms. I love that book :D Shame about Cuddy but hey, whats life without loss?

This is probably the worst audiance to ask, but are they really that good?

Is there an order to them, ie a running theme that will be better understood if read in order? Should I start with any particular book?

Arfie

This is probably the worst audiance to ask, but are they really that good?
Is there an order to them, ie a running theme that will be better understood if read in order? Should I start with any particular book?
Obviously they're not going to suit everyone, but yes. they are THAT good.

Here's how to do it:
  1. Buy the latest book (currently THUD).
  2. Don't read it yet! In the front is a list of all the Discworld books in the order they were published
  3. Go and buy the first one (The Colour of Magic)
  4. Enjoy!
  5. Continue to enjoy for another 30 or so books.

The order is fragmented into series of characters and single books...

You start with Rincewind the wizard (or wizzard). Hes even got it written on his hat so you know hes a wizard. Hes the anti-hero: a coward so abject that he is the exact opposite of those heros who save cities or rescue cats from burning buildings. Hes in several books...

later you get the Guards, Death and the Witches. These groups of characters appear in books in no order for the whole series, but each time a book is based on them it is sort of acontinuation of the previous book. That is to say, each book is a stand alone and complete story, but whatever happens in the previous book has still happened in the next book.

The major city which is the main focus in the books is Ankh Morpork, and this developes as cities dow ith new technologies and new leaders... you will come to love the Patrician. Hes a tyrant and makes no effort to hide the fact, but he is a semi-benevolant leader whos main interest is that the political affairs of the city-state and of neighbouring countires remain level enouhg for everyone to be productive and him to still be in charge.

He is very good a annoying Sam Vimes, who is flagrantly the best character in the books due to the fact that hes basically Dirty Harry with more bloodlust.

If you want to get the whole thing done properly, start at The Colour of Magic and read the inside first pages for a list of books to follow. However, the writing style and even the discworld has evolved a lot since that book was written (years ago now!) and, to be honest, while its a great book its just weird to read it again now that ive read the most recent ones.

If you want to go series by series, heres a list ;) I recommend reading the Guards series because its the funniest and, to my mind, has the most interesting plots:

Rincewind / Wizards
The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Mort (cameo)
Sourcery
Faust Eric
Interesting Times
The Last Continent

The Witches (Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg)
Equal Rites
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
Maskerade
Carpe Jugulum

The Guards
Guards! Guards!
Men At Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
Night Watch
Thud!

Death
Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Hogfather
Theif of Time

(mods can edit this if theres a mistake... which there isnt :p )

There are lots of other books though, some dont have any "normal" characters in them at all, like Pyramids (which is excellent). There are other sets of characters like the History Monks (Men in Saffron) and The Wizards who dont really have their own set of books but turn up a fair bit.

Theres also books that contain practically every set of characters but arent focused on any of them, like Going Postal.

Short answer: yeah, theyre good :p

OK, I'm gonna get some of them, but if they are rubbish, I'm coming after you all :grr: :lol:

Arfie

All your £££ are belong to Terry Pratchett :D

10% commission for me! w00t! ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back