Terrible Fish Id Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rynofasho

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I'm picking up a 75 gallon on Friday, and it has three fish in it - an albino rainbow shark, a bala shark, and some sort of catfish. I could hardly even get a look at it as it was inside a rock structure, but I have a terrible description (sorry!) - it was probably about 6-7" long, was primarily brown or grey (was hard to tell), had maybe inch long barbels (no more than one or two on each side of the mouth), and the most distinct part was that it had a solid yellow line that ran laterally, just above the center of the fish, and extended almost all the way to the tail. That ring a bell for anyone?

I'd say common pleco, large fish that can get up to a foot long although usually smaller in aquaria. Of course a picture will help with Id :)

Also, a bala shark needs to be in a shoal of at least 3, in at least a 120 gallon tank for one on its own. However they are good indicators of diseases like ich :)

Rainbow sharks also need around 250 litres each, in long tanks, because of the way they swim, although these are much smaller at 6" fully grown

No, it is definitely not a species of Plec. I'm aware of what they look like.

I'm rehoming the Rainbow and Bala for sure, just wanting an ID on the cat before I do. I'm picking it all up tomorrow so I'll get some photos then.

It is dificult with a vage discription, pics are always best, but at a stab in the dark im going to say Ictalurs punctatus?hopefully not this one....or try Platydoras costatus these max around 8inches

Check out planetcatfish.com and see if you can find it there.

Just a guess based on the yellow stripes - I was going to say the same as Nelly - Striped Raphael cat (Platydoras costatus).

Athena

Looking at pics, that might be the winner. I'm picking them up in a couple of days so I can give you pics at that point. Thank you!

I was going to say striped raphael as well! If it is that, it won't give you any trouble; obviously they'll suck up tiny fish, like neons, but they're very peaceful; ours is my son's very favourite; even over the oscar :)

Ok. I do have many Cories that would be going in the tank, so I'm not sure how well they would fair. I've got some Cardinals too that will end up in there (basically all the fish in my sig), so I'm not so sure they'd fair too well with him. Sigh. . . he's a good lookin' fish too!

Most reactions

Back