How to make an underground tunnel in a 90 gallon tank for Dojo Loaches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Since DoJo's seem to destroy all my aquascaping I know they'd LOVE a big long tunnel across the tank partially underground, with various exits along the way. These are very smart fish and I think they would have a lot of fun with it - but I also don't want it to be ugly. It's hard enough to have anything nice in their tank now.

The length of my tank is 48". It is a 90 gallon tank. Unless they start behaving they will be the only species in this tank except perhaps some other loaches or plecos.
The circumference of the DoJo's ranges from about 1" to 2 1/2" wide. Most are currently 1 foot or longer, one is a little runt of 6-7 inches. It has been said they can get as large as 2 feet. I had a terrible experience once of killing a fish that got stuck in the middle of the log where she always hid (she just got a little too big). If I had known she was in there and stuck I could have rescued her in seconds but I can't imagine what it was like dying like that so I want this tubing good and wide - I'm thinking 4" diameter. These guys could keep growing. I have access to power tools but minimal experience using them. I'd just like to pass my assistant/handyman a description of the parts needed, a diagram of the thing and a credit card and ask him to go pick up the stuff at home depot or Lowes or maybe there is a pond website that has stuff like this. I haven't really found anything that I like a lot. I'm homebound and on Oxygen, I rarely go anywhere except to the doctor's and that's with great fear - so it's partially a real fear but mainly I've had enough bad experiences running out of oxygen that I'm pretty phobic about leaving the house. Even with extra tanks of oxygen. Even going outside has become difficult. But I do love my fish and the fact that you can get almost anything online - but there are some things you'd need to see in person.

PVC is probably the easiest and uglyist and most limiting since its a solid tube. I'd love to use a clear plastic hose so I could observe them in there and check there are no tight spots - I suppose the exits would have to be built with rigid PVC or something to keep them wide open (some DoJo's are stronger than others). I want frequent exits so they don't start trying to play trap the little fish (they are 100% peaceful but are brats) I have fish safe and water-drying super glue for designing reef structures (my saltwater tank is the next project after this). The hose would be so cool and not so rigid but I realize there may not be such a thing at an affordable price. Ideally I'd like the entire project to come in at $250 or less.

My hope is that if they had something like this I could actually have plants floating on top of the water (Dojos get too crazy with them now and they end up stuffed into the update tube of my filter or just stuffed into the filter or several DoJos tangled up together or all plant matter just eaten. I might even try some driftwood and stone slabs topside. Maybe even a potted plant with really firm roots!!! These are the toddler fish of peaceful destruction!

Have any of you done such a thing or seen it done and know what materials were used and where they got them? Thanks for your help. Any pictures would be great.

I have seen people use PVC underground, for blenny's, goby's, and jawfish. (all saltwater fish) I assume it would be the same principle. I'll upload a few picture tomorrow, of what I'm thinking.

Since DoJo's seem to destroy all my aquascaping I know they'd LOVE a big long tunnel across the tank partially underground, with various exits along the way. These are very smart fish and I think they would have a lot of fun with it - but I also don't want it to be ugly. It's hard enough to have anything nice in their tank now.

The length of my tank is 48". It is a 90 gallon tank. Unless they start behaving they will be the only species in this tank except perhaps some other loaches or plecos.
The circumference of the DoJo's ranges from about 1" to 2 1/2" wide. Most are currently 1 foot or longer, one is a little runt of 6-7 inches. It has been said they can get as large as 2 feet. I had a terrible experience once of killing a fish that got stuck in the middle of the log where she always hid (she just got a little too big). If I had known she was in there and stuck I could have rescued her in seconds but I can't imagine what it was like dying like that so I want this tubing good and wide - I'm thinking 4" diameter. These guys could keep growing. I have access to power tools but minimal experience using them. I'd just like to pass my assistant/handyman a description of the parts needed, a diagram of the thing and a credit card and ask him to go pick up the stuff at home depot or Lowes or maybe there is a pond website that has stuff like this. I haven't really found anything that I like a lot. I'm homebound and on Oxygen, I rarely go anywhere except to the doctor's and that's with great fear - so it's partially a real fear but mainly I've had enough bad experiences running out of oxygen that I'm pretty phobic about leaving the house. Even with extra tanks of oxygen. Even going outside has become difficult. But I do love my fish and the fact that you can get almost anything online - but there are some things you'd need to see in person.

PVC is probably the easiest and uglyist and most limiting since its a solid tube. I'd love to use a clear plastic hose so I could observe them in there and check there are no tight spots - I suppose the exits would have to be built with rigid PVC or something to keep them wide open (some DoJo's are stronger than others). I want frequent exits so they don't start trying to play trap the little fish (they are 100% peaceful but are brats) I have fish safe and water-drying super glue for designing reef structures (my saltwater tank is the next project after this). The hose would be so cool and not so rigid but I realize there may not be such a thing at an affordable price. Ideally I'd like the entire project to come in at $250 or less.

My hope is that if they had something like this I could actually have plants floating on top of the water (Dojos get too crazy with them now and they end up stuffed into the update tube of my filter or just stuffed into the filter or several DoJos tangled up together or all plant matter just eaten. I might even try some driftwood and stone slabs topside. Maybe even a potted plant with really firm roots!!! These are the toddler fish of peaceful destruction!

Have any of you done such a thing or seen it done and know what materials were used and where they got them? Thanks for your help. Any pictures would be great.
I can't really imagine what you mean, so maybe this might not work, but what about a large clear flexible tube, sliced longwise so it stays a tube but opens if necessary, and large holes drilled at intervals so fish can get out but the loaches can't? Then you can have sections placed like a maze too and decorate to "hide" it but still view what's inside.
If that's what you mean by tunnels.
I might have to borrow this decorating concept. 😃

I'd rather not use PVC unless they make it clear so you can watch them swim through the tunnel - but I can't find any clear hose with a 4" diameter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back