Tell Me This Is Normal!

Trollfest

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
226
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Middlesbrough, UK
I am at day 11 of cycling my new 64l tank. I have no fish and some plants and for the first 4 days had a stocking full of gravel from a friend's tank hanging in the water. Having read more about fishless cycling I got some ammonia and added enough to take the tank water to around 4ppm. The next morning there was a massive algal bloom and the ammonia dropped to 0. I did a 50% water change, removed the gravel stocking and left the lamp off for around 36 hours, this was day 4-5. I added some more ammonia to take it 4ppm again.
Since then I have not added any ammonia and the level has not dropped and of course no nitrates or nitrites either. I have been using filter start every other day throughout.
Is all of this normal? Do I just need to be patient or is there something else I should be doing?

Please help me!
 
The gravel you had from your friends tank must of had beneficial bacteria on it, as this would explain why your ammonia level dropped. If I were you, put that gravel back in your tank on top of your substrate. This gravel contains the bacteria you need. Now that you removed the gravel, you also removed the bacteria, which is why you have not seen a drop in ammonia. So now you are back at square one, trying to colonize these beneficial bacteria, it will work but it will take longer then if you were to just put that gravel back in.

As for the algae. Light + Ammonia = Algae. Try to keep your aquarium light off during the cycle, and try to keep natural light away from the tank.

Also, the filter start product is no good. It will have no positive effects on your tank. It is just another thing for the fish stores to get your money.

-FHM
 
If the gravel has had a chance to dry out then no bacteria will be left on it, therefore there is no point putting it back in. However if you could return it, and get some fresh gravel from your friend then that would be great.

Other than that I agree completely with fatheadminnow
 
^Totally agree^

If the gravel that was given to you by your friend has dried out, then you can unfortunately assume that all the beneficial bacteria cease to exist. But like Curiosity101 said, just return to your friends house and pick up some more gravel!

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top