Tell Me About Angel Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So angels can be kept by them selfs?

Angles are best kept with Tetras (Black Skirt, Neon, Rummy nose, Silvertip, etc.). Also, small, peaceful species like mollies, or swords tails, are a good choice.

For a pair you need at least a 30 gal. Tall tank. If you have any more than 2 Angles in a 30 gal. High, they will start to become aggressive.

And don’t think just because 1 angle fish can live in a 10 gal tank, means that 2 can live in a 30 gal. Tank. You can put 1 angle in a 10 gal tank, but it’s not recommend. :)

Angles are best kept with Tetras (Black Skirt, Neon, Rummy nose, Silvertip, etc.). Also, small, peaceful species like mollies, or swords tails, are a good choice.

None of these are advisable tankmates with angelfish for various reasons.

Livebearers like mollies and swordtails have harder water requirements. Having said that, and depending upon the GH, KH and pH, and the tank size, it may be possible. Mollies and swordtails are not small fish, they attain anywhere from 3 to 5 and even 6 inches and this means lots of space.

Tetras have to be carefully chosen. Linear fish like neons and rummys are never advisable with angelfish. They can get eaten, or attempts to eat can be made. I've seen it, an angelfish got hold of a neon and it was gone in seconds.

Black Skirt Tetras have a well-deserved reputation to fin nip, and angelfish is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Don't. Even if there is no physical interaction observed, that does not mean things are "OK." Fish communicate with chemical signals and this alone can stress out the angelfish. You won't see it usually, it would have to be very strong before it became that obvious, but it is still likely. Fish are living creatures and we are not going to change their inherent traits just because we think they look nice in an aquarium. Understand the fish and assume it will be "normal" and provide accordingly.

There are always exceptions, life is like that. Someone went over Niagara Falls the other day and survived. Not everyone has, or would. Don't rely on the "maybe," assume the probable.

Sorry for the “incorrect” information.

I got this information from a friend, who has been keeping angle fish for over 15 years.

But if it’s wrong, it’s wrong. Please listen to the “professional” on this one @Deanasue, good luck! :)

I'm no professional, far from it. But I do extensive research and I listen to the authorities who really do know. Keeping fish for years is no guarantee that the person knows anything...just look at the rubbish proliferating YouTube with tanks of fish that are being treated inhumanely to say the very least.

Fare point. :)

I might want to tell my friend your information. :)

A serious-minded male could easily kill every other angelfish in the tank if the space is not that large to begin with.
I can confirm this from my own experience. I don't keep angel fish but before I knew better I had a couple of attempts. On each attempt I bought a selection of pretty fish. Each time I ended up with a sole survivor.

I can confirm this from my own experience. I don't keep angel fish but before I knew better I had a couple of attempts. On each attempt I bought a selection of pretty fish. Each time I ended up with a sole survivor.
That’s my fear about angel fish.

Keeping an Angel in a 10 gal would be cruel

Oh please, just get your Angelfish. You will not regret it. Today is all we have. Tomorrow may not come. Colin is right, don't waste space. If you have the ,space such as another shelf, don't waste it. You are in the fish room anyway. I look forward to pictures of your new fish.

Next time, I’ll just use my trusty search engine. :). Lol

I've raised lots of angelfish from other tank-raised angels, and the only time they ever ate their eggs was when I turned the lights out, so I left the lights on when there were eggs. Both parents guarded them, and I had one female that would come right out of the water to try to attack me when I opened the lid! The only time she ate her babies was once when she was moving them and I didn't notice before putting food in! Down they went, but there were plenty more left and they all survived.
The biggest problem I've had with breeding pairs is that they can develop aggressive behaviors to each other as they age. I think a 30 gallon is too small for them and that's why it happened that one killed the other. That was the size my tank was at the time, and I also it happen in another person's 29 high tank. It did not happen in my 75.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back