The GF came home with a Target Fish. She usually knows better then to buy one without researching. Not now however.
He is awesome. I started my research online. Not much that I could find. Checked the Brackish FAQ. OK, couple a paragraphs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Everything seems ok.
So I put him in my 30G that has 2 knight gobies, a violet goby, a GSP and 2 Orange Chromides.
Yeah, well he shredded one of the Knights. I work up one morning to a near dead fish. I have him in a hospital tank now but I am not sure he is going to make it. He also starting chasing the Chromides a little but didn’t seem to attack. He focused all his rage on the knights.
I don’t see anything online about them being particularly aggressive. The guy at the LFS (not the place it was purchased) thought this behavior was weird. I have him in a 5gal quarantine tank and will probably return him. I do understand that they are schooling fish, but I wouldn’t have though being alone would cause this level of aggression.
Anyone else have Targets? Run into something similar?
He is awesome. I started my research online. Not much that I could find. Checked the Brackish FAQ. OK, couple a paragraphs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Everything seems ok.
So I put him in my 30G that has 2 knight gobies, a violet goby, a GSP and 2 Orange Chromides.
Yeah, well he shredded one of the Knights. I work up one morning to a near dead fish. I have him in a hospital tank now but I am not sure he is going to make it. He also starting chasing the Chromides a little but didn’t seem to attack. He focused all his rage on the knights.
I don’t see anything online about them being particularly aggressive. The guy at the LFS (not the place it was purchased) thought this behavior was weird. I have him in a 5gal quarantine tank and will probably return him. I do understand that they are schooling fish, but I wouldn’t have though being alone would cause this level of aggression.
Anyone else have Targets? Run into something similar?
/puffernet.tripod.com/leiurus.html
Hes talking about Terapon jarbua. They are indeed a schooling fish, needing at least 4 in a school. What makes their feeding habits intersting is that they are predatory, omnivorus (only greens incorporated in their diet is usually algae), bottom feeders, but feed mainly on other fish so thats why it probably attacked the knight goby. What size is the target and the knight? They grow up to 16 inches in the wild, but in captivity that number is greatly reduced.
They are certainly a great fish, and probably my favorite fish species (behind geryi piranhas!). Im now thinking of even starting up another tank for them
Im thinking a large open topped tank with TALL mangroves growing out the top. I had the same idea for some Datnoides, but after this reading this thread I think I have changed my mind
my bad hehe
Im actually in the process of writing a thread on them for the fish index. You seem to be an expert on brackish fish, so I was wondering if you could possibly check it over when Im done wriiting it?






